1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

wilkinson pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 22, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html

Im particularly interested in the active jazz pickups. since a set of those are cheaper than any other single pickup.

anyone had any experience with them? it looks like "vintage" basses and guitars use them exclusively.
  2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

3. abarson

abarson

Did you go with the Wilkinson pu's in the end? If so, how do they sound?
    It's very odd that the website you referenced is the only source of information for Wilkinson pu's. There are a number of them on ebay right now for cheap, but I don't know if I want to take a chance on them for my project.
  4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

i found another site that sells them:
    http://www.applestone-music.co.uk/shop/prod353.htm

i went with a generic MM pickup in the end, off ebay aswell

i got some wilkinson tuners for the bass i built, they look very nice but they are a bit stiff, its definatly budget stuff.
    I didnt realise the tuners were wilkinson until i got them , because they were advertised as just brandless black fender style tuners

ALSO, if you ever see "vintage" basses(the brand name), they use wilkinson pickups exclusively, i played a jazz copy a while ago to see how the pickups were, and they were pretty similar to the standard MIM fender ones
  5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

The early ones didnt.

There was a " pre- Wilkinson " era where the bass hardware was Gold and i think the Wilkinson models use Black hardware

heres a pic of a Pre Wilky Vintage with Bubinga body...

[​IMG]
  6. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

Just to add to this thread...

I've recently installed a Wilkinson P-pickup in my Yamaha RBX-170 because the stock pup failed.

The sound is not bright, not harsh, and not muddy...the tone is even and pleasant and the level is decent but not very loud.

For $31 AU delivered...I'm more than satisfied.

Specs on the pickup:

Alnico 5 bar magnets, 2-pole pieces per string
    DCR 8.3k published (mine measures 8.8k)
  7. akrein62

akrein62

Was this the Wilkinson MM? How did it work out. I've been thinking of getting one.

Thanks,

Andy

8. Basscat125

Basscat125

Disclosures:
    none yet
    I have a vintage fretless and i have found the pickups to be quite good!;)
  9. BackToTheGroove

BackToTheGroove

I have a Vintage EJM96 jazz bass with Wilkinson p'ups. They are very belly and bright sounding, give that great jazz growl, or a very thumpy almost Pbass sound depending on how I've adjusted the knobs. There is a bit of typical single coil hum (depending on how hummy they are at band strength they may stay or go: replacement, if required, will be DiMarzio Area J's.

I will be replacing the electronics with an Audere JZ3 at any rate. http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm

Overall, I like them except the standard single coil hum.