1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

will 55-110 gauge work for standard tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pickftw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Pickftw

Pickftw

Jul 23, 2012
    i currently have 45-105 gauge on my fender p bass and iv been doing a lot of drop d and d standard stuff and the strings are playable but still a little floppy. i wanted to get some 55-110 so i could get a higher tension with d tunings but idk if that will be to high of a tension for standard e tuning. so any thoughts guys?

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The .055 at G is gonna be 65 pounds or so - if you can get a .050 you'll like it better

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Man, that's heavy! :eek:

My hands are cramping up, just thinking about it...

MM

5. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841 Supporting Member

May 29, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I tried 49-109 and it was tight. I liked it, but YMMV.

Try it and see for yourself. I guess if you want to have dropped and standard tuning on the same 4-string bass, you'll have to compromise somewhere.

6. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Bass drops and breakdowns since 2009

Jul 8, 2011
    Southwest Florida
    Check out the Billy Sheehan signature set, I think you'd like it.

7. bassburner

bassburner Gold Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Agreed. That's what I use with my Hipshot and the D doesn't get floppy but you don't lose the lightness of the other strings.

8. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    Go for it! That's my go to for standard E, love the low action and heavier gauge strings. Just feels so nice!

9. :bassist: Sure worked for Jamerson.

10. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    My P bass recently had 55-110 rounds in standard E tuning. I had to adjust the truss rod slightly to dial out excessive neck relief, otherwise no problem. Mileage will likely vary for 55-110 flats which should have even higher tension.

11. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    You may need to pay attention to you neck bow once they are on.

You have some nice strong/thick/fat/ highs on that beast.

12. I'm using Rotosound Swing 66LE SS that run close to that at 50-70-85-110 and they work fine for me for both tunings.

13. I have Rotosound SB '66 on a Warwick Streamer Standard. Gauge .50.70.85.110.

This works very well with the action set quite low.

I was tempted to try 55-110 but the nut slots on this bass are too narrow for 55 G and 75 D and I don't want to file the nut.

So long as the nut can hold .55.75.90.110 you can set the bass up so it works nicely.

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If you like high tension and such for feel and sound it could work.

15. hoketus

hoketus

Nov 5, 2012
    Toronto, ON, CA
    I find it quite uncomfortable. The tension is just too high. I'd recommend instead that you purchase a separate .110 for the low D.