1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Will a 2x10 combo always be louder than a 1x15 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by terribilino, Dec 15, 2013.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    All other things being equal, of course.

I'm thinking specifically of the TC BG 250-115:

http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/tc-electronic-bg-250-115.html

versus the TC BG 250-210:

http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/tc-electronic-bg-250-210.html

The 2x10 costs about 25% more than the 1x15. Is it the loudness of the amp which makes for the price difference? I know there's the preference factor - some people prefer the more 'modern' sound of 2x10s (I'm just going by posts I've read - I have no experience with amps), but if it were just a matter of preference, why would the one be so much more expensive than the other? Lots of people prefer the 1x15 sound. Is there a larger market for the 1x15, and therefore a lower price?

I'm confused. Both of these amps are in my price range, but I might be using it for school orchestra gigs, in which case volume might be an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Honestly, no. There's no way to judge them simply by the spkr count/size. Usually, a 210 vs 115 is a fairly even fight, but too many other factors to weigh for an accurate measure. One thing is for sure- in a loud rock band context, neither would be sufficient alone, and those combo's do not allow for an ext cab, which would make a big difference.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. My guess is - the two 10" drivers probably cost TC Electronics more money to buy than the single 15" drivers.

5. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I should have said: it will probably just be a practice amp. But if I do gig with it, it would be with a school orchestra, ie. no heavy drumming or loud electric guitars.

Still, though: why the big price difference?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Because they've figured out that people will pay more for one than the other ;)

As for loudness differences, there are a myriad of factors that make that an impossible question to answer, but given a 210 and 115 of relatively equal build styles, there usually isn't a loudness difference big enough to matter.

7. Is my bg250 (1x15) and it works great moves alot of air, the main difference would be in the high end. more slap clarity in a 2x10, the 1x15 still works great tho!

8. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Sounds like the 1x15 is the one for me, then. Can't slap, so that's not an issue, and I'm more into an old-school passive p-bass sound anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You're still in school so I took the liberty of altering your post. :D

Which ever cabinet you go with, each will have it's own pros and cons. May I suggest that you audition them with a very critical ear. You are the one who has to live with the purchase. Volume wise, it's generally accepted that a 2x10 and a 1x15 will produce about the same level. Obviously there are exceptions but it's a reasonable rule of thumb.