1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Will a 50w tube head be enough for my Ampeg 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by urgencyy, Dec 17, 2013.

1. urgencyy

urgencyy

I'm looking at buying a Sunn 200s which is 50w (tube), however I'm not sure how well it will work with my Ampeg 8x10. The other option is a Sunn 2000s at 120w but I'm not sure I'd need it or not. I'm currently using a GK 1001RB II but want to make the switch over too a tube amp.

85% of the shows we get mic'd (or DI :rollno:), but we pride ourselves on playing pretty loud.

Does anyone have any experience with either of those heads with an Ampeg 810? Or maybe just your thoughts on that setup? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've run my 810e with a 25w B-15 head. Sounds great and was surprisingly loud for 25w, but won't take the back of your head off. It will, however, give you an option for overdriven power tube sound that won't get your band fired from smaller gigs. I might consider the extra wattage, although I'd go for one of those nifty new V4B's instead of a Sunn ;)
  3. urgencyy

urgencyy

I'm thinking for the $300 price difference, the 200s will do me just fine. Especially considering that I so often get plugged DI and the fact that I can boost it a little bit with my sansamp, I don't think I would need the 2000s...I don't think.

Also, have you ever seen a 200s like this with a black grill? I never have, wondering if it's original or a replacement?
    :confused:[​IMG]
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry but I'm no Sunn expert, so you'll have to get the definitive word from someone who knows more than me. I did Google some images of Sunn gear, though, and I see them with a gray cloth similar to Ampeg's but without any blue, and I see them with Fender style grillcloth. Didn't see any with black cloth, though.
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There are a few TB rockers rocking out with 100w tube amps. Not many with 50w. If you think you're on the loud end and want some clean headroom you probably want the bigger one.

Ime, 50 tube watts and a 2x10 had no headroom with a jazz band. A 8x10 is 6db better off, all else equal, not enough to keep up in a loud rock band.

Now I have 180w Mesa tubes, just enough for rowdy pub rock with a pretty sensitive vintage 2x15 JBL setup. No PA. It's not like we are all that loud.
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If you're going from a 1001rb (700 watts@4ohms?) to a 50 watt head you're going to be very disappointed. You'll probably have great tone, but you'll run out of gas really quickly on big stages.
  7. elwuss

elwuss

+1

you'll gt a great tone at LOW volume.
    I have the similar problem with my Fender Bassman 100.
  8. mflatau

mflatau

I have run my hot rodded Fender PA-135 (135 Watts) into Ampeg 810 and 610 cabs. Definitely think the lower wattage works better on the 610 as far as volume before breakup goes. Still sounded good on the 810, but i think added headroom on the amp would be much better. I wouldn't go less than that with the 810, but I like to have stronger lows at louder volume and not just breakup.
  9. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    100 watts is my lower limit for tube amps in any band I'd consider medium loud to loud. That's when I factor in overdrive's perceived headroom too. I'd move on the 2000s but that's me. The 1001RB-II was the loudest amp I ever owned. Switching to 50 watts is a bit extreme.
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The GK 1001RBII is a beast, power-wise.
    Moving to a 50 watt tube amp-of any sort-may get you tone you like better, but you'll suffer a huuuuuge power loss.

IMO, if you're using very much of the 1001's power to get the volume you like/need;
    you'd be waaaaay better off moving to one of the newer 100 watt (or bigger) tube amps.
    Ampeg, Mesa and Fender all have nice offerings right now.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The SUNN 200S has an 8Ω output impedance. There is a 4 Ω tap that is used if you plug in a second 4Ω cab. With a dummy plug you can run a single 4Ω cab no problem.

If you have a newer 810, another option would be to just use the top four speakers in your 810 which is 8Ω.
  12. P Town

P Town Guest

I would buy more power than I thought I needed, if I was only going to have one amp. The best way to go, is to have low,medium, and high power amps on hand, so you can select the most appropriate level of power to suit the situation.
  13. chadds

chadds

I owned both. I played them when they were first introduced. The Sunn 2000s would be my choice. Then you will have headroom just in case. The 200s breaks up pretty quick and can give that Mountain, Grandfunk Railroad tone. While that's fun it isn't always what a tune calls for.

Your cab is sealed too, so the more wattage the better.

Black grill is a replacement. They had one of two styles of grey cloth.
  14. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

I have a 200s and though the tone sounds great, it just doesn't push out any volume with my 810. I mean, not enough to keep up in any band. But maybe I'm biased because my YBA-3 with almost double the power hardly pushes enough volume through my 810. I find 810's to be quiet though, regardless of how good they sound. My Sunn is easily louder through a vented 2x12 or 2x15 but it still struggles, which is why I now have it permanently set on guitar duty. I'd go 2000s if I had the choice for bass.

Also, the pic you posted is of an early-mid 200s if the logo is original. Grill does seem to be replaced, though my 6x12 came with what looked like original black grill, but who knows. Grey is way more common. Squared grey for the later ones, sparkly grey for the earlier ones. You can also squeeze out a bit more power if you substitute the rectifier tube with a solidstate rectifier. Tightens up the low end a bit too. I did it with mine, easily sounds like it's pushing 80w-90w.
  15. MrPierre

MrPierre

Buy the 2000s.

Especially I you play loud gig.

Or better, buy both.
  16. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

I know you want someone to say 50w is enough, and it can be in some instances, but it will run out of gas. I would spend the extra $$
  17. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

60w could be enough given the right cab. 810's just require more power to push a good amount of volume out. At least that's been my experience with multiple 810's. Like I mentioned, I feel even my YBA-3 is just a hair under powered to really push good clean volume out of an 810.
  18. urgencyy

urgencyy

Hmm, it sounds like the general consensus is that 50w would be enough, but I'd probably be happier with a little extra headroom with the 2000s. For $350 extra it's a pretty tough call!

Regarding the 2000s, how well will it fit on top of my ampeg 810? Would it fit well or would I need to take the rubber stoppers off the bottom? Just a minor detail.
  19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You got a weird definition of consensus. A minority opinion that matches what you want to hear.
  20. urgencyy

urgencyy

I would actually much rather everyone tell me that the 50w is enough so I could save $350.

Also, by my count, it seems to be 11-3 in favour of going for the higher wattage, so I'm not sure I totally understand your point.