1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Will a Boss LMB-3 fix my problem?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by El Raro, Mar 25, 2014.

1. El Raro

El Raro

I understand that the LMB-3 acts as a compressor of sorts. What I understand about compressors is that they help even out your tone from volume peaks to volume drops. Currently, my EBMM Stingray 4H has this annoying habit of losing volume on the higher D and G strings. Will an LMB-3 help boost the volume of those strinsg and even it out with the E and A strings effectively?

May sound like a stupid question but everywhere I read about the LMB-3, it seems people like it because its "perfect for slap". I'm not a slap player at all so I'm not sure how this pedal will affect me. On that note, the reason I'm asking about the LMB-3 in particular is because there's a local pawn shop which has one in for a good price so I'm considering the purchase.

2. Nate85x

Nate85x

I have one and it served me well for a little while until I took it off my board. I just mainly used it as a limiter to help my signal from clipping on my old bass head. It worked out really good. If your looking for something to help even your tone out and help with volume maybe a compressor pedal would work. Not many people like using this one on their bass but I do I use the Boss CS-3 it works great for me, but there are so many choices out there to choose from.

3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

it sounds to me that you may have a setup or eq issue of some sort. not sure if compression is the answer here, but i have been wrong before.

4. Nate85x

Nate85x

I didn't even think of that, it should have ocurred to me that maybe a set up of the bass first to see if something needs to adjusted, then go from there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

thinking maybe pickup height adjustment? i am no pro at setup though, just ideas.....

7. karstetterpj

karstetterpj

Disclosures:
    Commercial User
    I'm also no expert, but pickup height adjustment was the first thing I thought of when reading about uneven output across the strings

8. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Just so we're clear, the LMB-3 in fact IS a compressor and should do what you want, but i'd suggest checking the pickup height because it's weird that the highest strings shouldn't be the quietest.

9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

The LMB-3 is not a compressor, it is a limiter.
    A compressor will start catching the signal and gently squashing it at lower volume levels.
    A limiter will abruptly squash the loudest peaks, but leave the rest alone.

That's a simple explanation.

Compression is like having your mother-in-law in the back seat.

Limiting is like seeing a cop in your rear view mirror.

10. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

A limiter is a kind of compressor. The only difference between the two is how and how much they squish what you put in. Generally, limiters have a higher threshold, but they're doing the exact same thing a compressor does, which is why all limiters are compressors.

Have you had an LMB-3? Do you know for a fact that it only affects peak signals and doesn't touch everything else? Because I've had one and it certainly does compress, which makes sense since it's a compressor that's geared toward limiting (and adding hiss.)

11. El Raro

El Raro

Thanks a lot for the input, guys.

I should have added that the pickup height is something I've tried adjusting but it only slightly improved my volume issue. Nothing that made a significant impact. I've also played with the EQ on both my bass and EQ pedal to try and bring out the mids and highs a little more but again no significant improvements in a live band mix.

If I can be sure the LMB-3 will help level the volume from my higher strings without sacrificing the great low-mid Stingray grunt too much then I'll happily pull the trigger. If not, what's a good alternative to consider that might get me what I'm after...or at least close enough?

12. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The LMB-3 will be altering your tone, as any compressor will...some more than others. I would definitely check your bass setup and read up on dead spots first. This is usually a setup issue IME. The LMB-3 is actually a decent pedal (if you keep the Presence totally off) and may be a great addition to your sound, but I wouldn't count on it being a transparent magic fix to your lost notes.

Check out Bongomania's excellent resource on compressors for more info:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

Similar question was asked here recently:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/does-mean-time-buy-compression-pedal-help-needed-1063797/

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You've just described one simplified and idealized way of thinking about compression vs limiting. You have not described the Boss LMB-3. :)