1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Will a Fender Bassman 100T power a Neo 6X10?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hopturn, Mar 3, 2014.

1. hopturn

hopturn

Just as the thread topic says... I had a lot of help on here deciding on an amp, and settled on a Fender Bassman. I'd like to get the 100T and use it to power a 6X10, but wonder if I should just bite the bullet and get the 300 watt Super Bassman.

I play lots of outdoor weddings and events, and am looking for that sweet presence that my Genz Benz Shuttle combo just can't provide. I'm not trying to destroy people's ear drums...I just need it to pump and get people dancing in order to please my clients. And the occasional bar stomp.

I'm a funk/R&B/rock/soul/afrobeat player, if that helps.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you are playing outdoor gigs without a top notch PA you need power. I'd not even consider tying to play ANY gig with a 100W amp!

3. hopturn

hopturn

the P.A. my band uses powered 1000 watt QSC 12's for mains (with a pair of 8's for smaller clubs) with two 1000 watt powered KSub's. i definitely want to bring in some grit and overdrive to get a fat tone, but i don't know if stadium-size volume will fit my needs either.

4. newbold

newbold

get the 100T and a power amp. The 100T has a post-power line out that you can use for bigger gigs (or to use highpassed to push subs). This way you can always get your desired push from the tubes but have more juice than the 300W bassman ever would.

...if you need it.

Something tells me that you won't need heavy OD but would love to push those power tubes but still get lots of headroom on tap.

The 100T can be scaled down to a fairly low watt amp to get you a range of tone. If you, say, like the sound of the 20W setting best but need to run 1000W or more you couldn't do it with the Super SuperBassman.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Linnin

Linnin

The Fender Bassman 100t will indeed drive the Bassman Pro 610 Neo cab, and sound GREAT doing it too!

7. hopturn

hopturn

definitely not trying to get heavy OD...just old school phatness that people will dance to. truthfully, i'm not really interested in getting an additional power amp either since i'm already lugging production equipment around.

so has anyone had any experience running the 100T with the neo 610? or should i just go super bassman?

8. Tim1

Tim1

I have run the 100T with the neo 610 comfortably and it sounds great, but it sounds way better with the Super Bassman 300 (to my ears). Of interest is that, according to the importers down here, Fender recommend that the 100T is paired with the 610 neo and the SB300 with the 810 neo - hence we seldom see a 410 cab down this way.

9. hopturn

hopturn

Can you still dial in a bit of funky "fuzz" with the SB 300 without killing people? I want the presence, but I do not want to start a volume war.

And I guess I'll never understand how a 100 watt amp could compete on a stage. I'm using a 375 Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 right now with the same band and it's barely holding on as the night goes by....and I wouldn't call the band a loud band.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Absolutely you can - that is the advantage of the second channel and the master volume control.

11. rodl2005

rodl2005

I'd not hesitate & get the SB300. Bigger thicker tone than the 100T but same great pre amp features & 2 channels. Sure can dial in fantastic dirty tone AND blend clean bottom end in so it stays solid

12. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

For dance music ? If you have a monitor system that can bring your bass up all around, yes. You need alot of headroom, wouldn't you say ? I'd go the 300. You actually need a more clean sound with some quickness, which is what I did but with an SVT. Same

13. hopturn

hopturn

so just to settle the question...why would someone want to buy the 100T (weight aside)? i've read all the threads...i'm just wanting to make sure that i'll be able to use the SB 300 for all my gigs...small to large...and still get the tubey love out of it.

@ Tim1: reading all of your posts made me think about switching from the 100T to the SB anyway...and you seem to be the only guy with extensive knowledge of both amps. think i could run the SB with the Neo 6X10 for big rigs, and a 1X15 for small gigs? still get the phatness even at lower volume?

14. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Well - for me it was mostly price - SB is 350 more. Even the 100T was pushing what I wanted to spend. The "overdrive" channel on both of these amps is HUGELY versatile - you have a gain control, blend control, and a volume control. Set how much overdrive you want with gain, blend with a clean signal (independent of the "clean" vintage channel) to taste, match the overall volume to the other channel with the volume.

15. Tim1

Tim1

Hopturn, even at lower volumes I prefer the SB300 to the 100T - it is just fatter and tighter for my purposes. I use the SB300 with a Bergantino NV115 as well as the neo 610 and it works happily with both. After a while using the 100T with the NV115 I found it just ran out of the clean headroom I like - no doubt partly because the NV115 is not particularly efficient. Now let me make it clear again that I am not knocking the 100T which is a great amp, it is just that for my purposes and for the tone I like the SB300 is clearly superior - even at lower volumes I can clearly hear the difference in the weight and authority behind each note.
    I fully accept that others may well prefer the 100T and can understand their reasons. This is just one tone junky's opinion :).

16. hopturn

hopturn

@Tim1: At this point I've obsessively poured over most of the relevant threads...you have convinced me. And having Tom Bowlus come right out and recommend an amp to me based on the description of my specific needs doesn't hurt one bit. That's why I love Talkbass.

Last night's gig, I kept thinking...this would just be so much funkier with that SB 300. I'm planning on the oxblood one (hopefully catch a little of our stage lighting behind me!) and I guess the matching Neo 6X10 cab. I've also been thinking about maybe going with an LDS 2X15/2X6.5, but I've got some rather important gigs coming up soon and don't know if I can wait for the build time...

...so many decisions.