Will a MIA or MIM Jazz Pickguard fit a Squier CV Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Just wondering if it would be a direct fit without having to drill new holes? Also so I can pick up the guard I want without having to have one custom made. No biggie either way. I would get a custom cut if need be. But I like pay and play. :D
  2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I dont have any CV 60's J's in house currently to check, but I seem to remember the neck pocket, and at the control plate were issue areas, maybe even tight around the neck pup ...so I always just left the Squier tort on them ...
  3. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I can tell you that the MIA pickguard I got from GC fit my CV P bass perfectly. Not sure about the jazz though, my guess would be yes it would.
  4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

From what I can tel by posts here on TB, whether any Fender PG will fit a Squier has been hit or miss. If I were to replace a Squier P, I would bite the bullet and pay a few extra bucks for a custom cut PG from one of those places that you have to send in a tracing or the actual PG from your bass, like Jeannie's.
  7. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Depends on which Squier. They're not all the same.
  8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

See I would just send off my guard and have them work with that. Which is why I am curious if a MIA or MIM will pop right on. It would save some time.

If I had the Oly white/tort CV jazz it would stay that way. :) Im thinking James Johnston sig with a pearl guard. LPB and pearl is my favorite look of all time. Matching headstock to boot. However it has to be done I gotta get a pearl pg on that JJ jazz. :D
  9. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Easy way to find out. Trace the one you have onto a piece of paper (or take it off) and take it into GC or your local store and hold it up against the new one. You'll be able to tell whether it would fit that way. Even if the store doesn't have the one you want, you'll be able to tell if the standard Fender one would fit.
  10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Good idea. Thanks all.
  11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I ordered a Fender Black Pearloid Jazz pickguard which fit an Squier Affinity just fine. But when I moved it over to my Squier Standard Jazz I had to attack it with a dremel tool. And not just on one spot. I had to buzz down all the relevant areas a little (neck, control plate & pickup slot).

I took both pickguards, laid one on top of the other and used some long screws through the holes to keep them together. Then I laid them down on a towel draped over a table, gently but firmly pressing both down with one hand and kept the edge I was sanding hanging off the edge. It wasn't a lot of work, and it's not factory perfect, but you'd need to look really close to see that my lines weren't 100% straight. No big deal.

And now, it fits!

[​IMG]
  12. soulman969

soulman969

The Fender brand MIA pickguards are a direct fit on a Squier CV. I have a black pearl I ordered for mine and it dropped right into place just like it should. I also ordered a mint green one from a Chinese outfit called EY guitar parts. It was $7 plus about $3.50 shipping. It also fit with no alteration. So I'd say anything that's made to fit an MIA Jazz will work on a CV Jazz.
  13. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

More or less what I said, hit or miss.