Will adjusting string height help me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wootenjr304, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304 Supporting Member

When I'm playing I hear a tap every time I hit a string. I hit the strings a little harder than I should but I've never had this happen with my other basses. Will adjusting the string height help me fix this?
  2. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bassist for The Sipps (Presskit.to/TheSipps) Supporting Member

Is it just clacking once (per strike) or is there a little bit of buzz as well?
  3. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

It may help, but its possible your neck may need a truss rod adjustment.
  4. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bassist for The Sipps (Presskit.to/TheSipps) Supporting Member

+1.
    If it's localized to a small area it's fret specific you may need a fret level but that is unlikely
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wootenjr304

Mainly it's just clacking even with an open string. Every once in awhile there is a slight rattle but no constant buzzing.
  7. Wootenjr304

It only rattles when I use the B and E strings
  8. The Rage

The Rage

I think is the same problem I had few weeks ago. I removed the string and then mount it again... problem solved
  9. Wootenjr304

Did almost every fret rattle on the string before you fixed it?
  10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Check the string isn't touching exposed pickup pole pieces when playing. I had a similar issue with the exposed rail on my old RBX4A2. Fixed it with a strip of insulation tape.
  11. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've found this happens on my basses when I set the relief really low (i.e. tighter truss rod). It's a tradeoff: string clack, or low action.
  12. Wootenjr304

I just got it yesterday from fender and none of my other basses had places to adjust truss rods. So I'm not sure exactly how to set it up right. The strings are about a quarter of an inch above the pickups not sure if that's the normal height.
  13. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like you should take it to a good tech so he can set it up properly.
  14. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Here's Fender's take on setup:
    http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/

Assuming you have new strings it might take a while for them break in and lose their zing.
    fnord!
  15. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

16. The Rage

The Rage

I realized the rattle came from the headstock or the bridge... But there was a "rattle" every note I played on that string...
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Had something similar- was driving me crazy until I realized what was causing it. The nut that held the tuner post to the headstock was loose and vibrating every time I played the string. It was more apparent playing open fret on that particular string.

So to the op, a few things you can do, check all the screws and nuts on your bass to make sure nothing is loose, make sure the neck is straight, check the saddle for that string- sometimes it's the spring that might be too loose as it has no tension (or lost it's tension) causing it to vibrate. You can also try to lower your pickup height- perhaps it's too sensitive and too close to the strings. If all fails, a tech should perhaps look at it and try to isolate the problem.
  18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Many things will help with this. A good set up will most certainly be the best place to start. Also, (I did not see what bass you have) check your mid control. Sometimes dialing it back a hair will pull some of that out as well. Also, some work on your finger technique couldn't hurt. Sounds like you are pushing the strings down (hammer type motion) when you play. All of it goes into that sound. Good luck,