1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Will Aguilar TH500 (with DB112 or GS112) Get Me This Tone?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Jan 4, 2014.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I play almost every genre of music from jazz, electronic, hip hop, R&B, folk, to rock and salsa.

Anyway, I have been using a Berg IP112 with an Avalon U5 for a good while, but I've had some issues with it be it weight, taking a ton of power to make it work (some clubs have low power ratings and it affects the Berg IP greatly), and lack of portability...

My main question is will an Aguilar TH500 and either a DB112 stack or GS112 get me this tone while being more portable and versatile (I travel a lot, and will be doing some work in NY City and need something to take on the plane)?

I also play acoustic bass and I have played my acoustic through it and it sounds great (didnt get to play my electric though)...

Here is an example of the tone that I like. One is with me playing with my band in the mix and the other is me soloing. Not sure if the tone is mainly from my Avalon U5....

Band

Thanks,

Evan Hodges

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I would think you'd be able to get that tone with a number of amps (TH500, MB LMKIII, PF350/500).

Do a search of the DB112 cabs and you will probably find that although they sound great, they're not the most portable due to size/weight. I don't know how the GS112 would sound like though.

3. funkyfretless

i understand that. i'm more looking for the option to break down. with my ip112 im stuck with that. with the th500 i can just carry that then adda cab wherever i go....

anybody else have some opinion on this question?

i also am intrigued by the mesa walkabout (scout). i can just take the head wherever i go as well...

thanks

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Walkabout (I've got two of the early ones), but it's got a somewhat warmer sweet-spot tone than you seem to want. It can give you a beautiful 3-D clean tone, but only at low volume. When you need to push the gain and master for more stage SPL, the Walkabout dishes up big, sticky notes (that's what I love it for, but not what you seem to be after, coming from the U5 into Berg IP).

The LMIII will give you honest-but-not-sterile. In the same ballpark in terms of power, an older Thunderfunk would also sound good on you, but those are less portable than the LMIII. You might also try a GB Shuttle.

I only have a few moments hands-on experience with the TH500 and the PF500, but their baked-in tones sounded more colored than your U5 tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bluejayway82

bluejayway82

The rig you're talking about should sound great, I believe the GS cab to be a little more scooped than the DB, but if you dig the Berg cab you have now, why not try out their unpowered cabs? Best I've tried, definitely upgrading to Berg cabs when the time comes.. plus their 112 cabs are tiny (in comparison)..

Epifani gear is also light and has a super quick response.. check out the piccolo head..

7. funkyfretless

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Im an idiot. I deleted my post as it obviously contributes nothing. ;)

9. spz8

spz8

Hey Evan,

A slight diversion, but I really dug your band and tunes. I'm somewhat of a newbie to jazz, but I really enjoyed what I heard, and will seek out more. Thanks for sharing in this context. :cool:

10. funkyfretless

thanks i appreciate it!

11. funkyfretless

any other thoughts? thanks

12. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

funkyfretless,

I gig a TH 500 with 1 or 2 1x12 non-Aguilar cabs. I've gigged GS210 cabs before and so I can vouch for the GS cabinet line - it's really good. 1 or 2 GS 112 cabs with the TH 500 would fit your music very well. Aguilar gear is super reliable and they stand behind it. You can get a hold of them on the phone or email very easily.

13. funkyfretless

any other thoughts?

thanks

14. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Ive used the U5 as my preamplifier for a couple of years and I'm currently using the TH500. I'm able to get similar but not identical tones from them. The U5 is a little more hi-fi and the TH500 is a little more vintage/tubey. But this is pretty subtle difference to my ears.

15. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I had a quick listen to your first clip, and playing Jazz/groove/funk in a trio myself with a TH-350, pair of DB112 NT's and a 64' Fender Jazz I would say yes you can get pretty close (we have a similar tone, mine is a little more rolled off in the tops), you might find it easier to get that tone with one or both cabs being DB112 (as they have the tweeter). But... They are not the lightest nor easy to lug, to me the tone is worth the effort. Taking them on a plane though...

16. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

+1

17. winegamd

winegamd

Your tone is pretty similar to Janek Gwizdala, and he uses a TH500 now. He also used TC Electronics, but switched for the more old school tube vibe of the Aggie gear. With your tonal goals both would be worth a look. Also, if you got the TH500 and thought you still needed your U5 tone, just plug your Avalon into the return jack of the TH500. You might think about just getting a lightweight PA amp to use as well. The Demeter mini 800D would be ideal for you.

As for cabs, since you like Bergantino, I would stick with them. The DB and GS cabs are more traditional sounding and not as open as the Berg cabs. In my opinion, I think an HD112 or HD210 would meet your goals, the 210 for sure.

18. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Sorry, no thoughts on the rig, but I'm really digging the band, the songs, your playing and tone! Hope you keep posting vids!

Cheers,

EG

19. funkyfretless

thanks evilgus, much appreciated!

20. funkyfretless

21. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Sounds great ! Tasty playing.
    Really appreciate the music you play. Thanks for sharing !