Will Best Buy replace my tuner, or will I have to exchange my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ronbeast, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

So, I'm looking for some advice on this.

I bought a Squier Bronco on the 30th of December 2012, and I love the bass minus one little problem. When I bought the bass, it seemed like the E string tuner was very stiff, I didn't think too much of it and figured a bit of lubricant and use would solve the problem.

After using the bass for a few days, I noticed it hadn't changed, so I decided to have a look at the tuner under the cover. It seems like the gear turning ratio is off compared to the spiral grooves in the tuner body. This causes the teeth of the gear to actually get compressed under part of the tuner, which causes the stiffness and it is effectively wearing down the teeth of the gear to the point where the tuner is starting to slip.

Now, I don't really want to exchange the bass for a new one, as I really like the one I have. I bought the bass at Best Buy, and I don't really know what their policy is. They aren't exactly a huge music chain or anything so I don't know if they would simply order the new part under my warranty, or just exchange the bass for a new one?

Has anybody dealt with Best Buy for a situation like this? What was the outcome? Thanks.

2. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

Best Buy typically will pull another out of stock and exchange.

3. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Study their policy. I believe they will replace it under certain conditions that I don't know... As about fixing, you will be send to deal with manufacturer.

4. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

As a former BBY employee, they'll offer you an exchange, but the company has no relationship with FMIC or any company to do warranty service. I worked in the music gear section for 3 years at the flagship location and never had a single dealing with a Fender rep. Roland and Shure were the only people I had a working relationship with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

My guess is they will replace the bass. As far as I know, most of the Best Buy's do not have a guitar repair shop inside the store. Bring it back to the store and see if they can order a new tuner for you. They are pretty simple to install a new one - simple screw gun will do great.

7. msaone

msaone

Best Buy sells instruments? And no offense, but why did you buy one there opposed to a music store?

8. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I'm not worried about installing a new tuner, I've built basses before haha :p. I just want get a new tuner under the warranty that I have.

I bought the bass there because they had the best deal, and I really liked the bass. Also, the bass selection there isn't that bad compared to some of the other shops in town, it's pretty pitiful when a major music dealer is being out done by best buy...

Does anybody know if I can go through Squier to get a replacement? The bass is brand new and should still be under some kind of manufacturer's warranty, shouldn't it?

9. AaronMB

AaronMB

Send them a nice email, or give them a call, and explain the situation. I don't know anything about their customer service, but if it's any good, they'll offer you a replacement with little/no hassle. It certainly can't hurt, especially if you're that fond of the bass.

10. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Bump.

I just emailed Fender consumer relations to see if they would offer any advice, but it says it could take considerably longer than 48 hours to receive a reply back.

I'm going to call Best Buy now and see what they can do for me.

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

12. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Since you seem to like this particular Bronco, might be easiest and quickest to replace the offending tuner.
    Check with a place like Angela Instruments, or Darren Riley Guitar Shop. Both stock a lot of Fender parts.

13. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Well, I've called Best Buy 6 times today, and every time I try to speak to someone it seems like the machine drops the phone call. It's frustrating, but I guess I'll just have to find a way around that. I think I'll head to the location tomorrow and ask about getting the tuner replaced.

14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I honestly would send Fender /Squire a NICE email tell them how much you like the bass and that you don't want to exchange it for another. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a free replacement. Remember you catch more flys with sugar than vinegar.

15. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

That may be the route that I take, and I wouldn't even have to lie! I really like the bass, the neck is incredibly comfortable to me.

Hopefully squier will see it as a genuine email and not just somebody trying to mooch.

16. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

FMIC will help you out. There a big company but have helped me in similar situations.

17. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

all my dealings with Fender customer service have been very positive

18. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Thanks for making me feel better about this, everytime I deal with a big corporation I always just picture myself as the little guy being pushed around and getting the short end of the deal.

19. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I figured I'd update this post.

I'm very impressed! I just received an email from a Fender rep. and it says that they will send me a replacement tuner absolutely free of charge!

I actually thought they would just shrug it off and make the process as painful as possible, but they actually just offered to send the new part. Impressive service!

As for Best Buy, still haven't heard back from them. I guess there really isn't any reason to get in contact with them now though. Either way, I'm ecstatic right now!

-Ron

20. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Yep I figured so. Fender is great with customer service, I am actually trying to get a job there. I had a pair of defective strings, I emailed them and they sent two full packages of new strings.