1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Will dimarzios fit in a squire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fusion man 85, Jan 2, 2014.

1. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Im gettn a squire for a fair price from a freind and im thinking of changing the picks up.would dimarzio j styles fit in without much modification work? Im gonna treat this a my first Frankenstein bass by the way

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

If you're looking at the Model J pickups (coolest jazz pickups out there IMO), they are taller than most jazz pickups and often do require the cavity to be made a bit deeper. Don't know about their other models

3. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Thanks for the info ill be modifying the squire and fretless fender when it gets paid off then

4. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    Fit beautifully in my Squier VM 70's J-Bass!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right. Supporting Member

Any additional routing required or just a drop-in replacement? I have a Squier VM Jazz that might need a new set of Model J Dimarzios.;)

7. Shippy

Shippy

Just added the Model J pickups in my VM Squier bass. No problems, this version of the bass has 500K pots and I installed them as standard wiring from the DiMarzio directions. You should have some shrink tubing handy, as some wires have to be soldered but do not attach to a pot or ground point, they must be insulated. Electrical tape is messy eventually.

You will need to adjust the foam thickness when you install. String the bass without the pick guard installed, adjust the heights of the pickups, check the sound. Then install the pick guard.

Bought the pickups from Guitar Center website, 15% off and free shipping. I replaced the Duncan Designed pickups that came with the bass when I bought it used at Guitar Center, I really wanted the hum-canceling. The Model J is giving me a much clearer and open low end.