Will either of these work?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by footprints89, Dec 27, 2010.

1. footprints89

footprints89

SWR Workingman's 12 or a GK112? I don't know enough about upright amplifications to make a decision. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good amp that's $300 or under?
  2. Rumblejohn

Rumblejohn

Either amp will do a decent job, but you will be happier with your sound through a pre-amp.
  3. footprints89

footprints89

I'm getting a pickup that has a pickup built in. Something shadow. it's a german brand I believe.
  4. footprints89

footprints89

5. ricky

ricky

I've seen many more upright players using gk. Both will need a pre amp for best tone.
  6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I had that pickup for a minute. My advice is to buy a Realist instead and then go for the GK and an Fdeck HPF preamp. The Shadow pickup isn't well made and the preamp isn't in the same league as those normally used for DB.

The Realist is recommended as the standard 'under bridge foot' pickup so that's why I recommend it over the Shadow. As has been discussed ad nauseum here, choosing a pickup that works with a particular bass is very important. For all I know, a Realist might be the worst possible match for your bass. YMMV, etc.....
  7. footprints89

footprints89

I would jump to get a realist, but I have no one to put it on. I live in Indiana and I believe the closest Luthier is in Cincinnati...Any suggestions?
  8. RBX4

RBX4

Dude, do not get that gk112, cheaply made. had it, go with the swr wp12, i currently have it and i'm now swr for life...

What an amp!!
  9. footprints89

footprints89

Also, where can I buy a Fdeck HPF preamp? With the pickup I am kinda asking if there are any good pickups I can self-install?
  10. footprints89

footprints89

Thanks for the advice, guys!
  11. robgrow

robgrow

You can get the HPF-Pre directly from fdeck by visiting his web site. This is an excellent and very useful product for a very reasonable price. I bought another one recently and the service was amazingly prompt. Highly recommended.

The Gage Realist and the Fishman Full Circle are probably the two most popular pickups on the market today for double bass. I've owned both, and although I'm currently using the Full Circle, I really like the way the Realist sounds on friend's basses. Both of these pickups can be installed by the user, although I prefer to have an experienced luthier do this. BTW a preamp is usually not absolutely necessary with either of these pickups.

Good luck.
  12. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

The Realist is easier to install. Loosen the E and A, lift up on the bridge, and slide that sucker under the foot. I've done it a number of times. Easy. A little nerve racking the first time you do it but you'll be fine. I suggest putting a little powered bow rosin between the bride foot and the copper to minimize 'drift' over time.

The Full Circle actually requires dismantling the bridge and replacing the adjuster. Still possible to do on you own but quite a bit more involved.

I had to old Workingman's 12 for years and thought it was great. I did use a Fishman Platinum Pro to minimize boom and I stuffed a rag in the rear port. I felt like that made to sound a little less boomy and a little more focused. I really only switched to the GK 150MBS because the SWR was heavier and I am a big 'one-tripper' anymore.
  13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I've been using one on a steady for 5 years now and it does the job. Have a rag in the port, also. If I had to move it, I wouldn't be using it, but it does the job. I'm not a fan of the GK150 soundwise, but they are small and light.

Another PU alternative is the Schertler Stat-B. It comes with its own preamp/phantom power and is fairly easy to fit in the bridge hole by trimming the cork end. It is more expensive than those mentioned above. I like it a lot.

You should be able to self install any bridge wing PU (like Underwood) if you carefully file the slot to fit.
  14. footprints89

footprints89

Is there anything I should watch out for when Installing a Realist? I am completely new to this stuff and I don't want to harm the bass in any way...
    So, how much will it improve my tone with a preamp as well? I'm also struggling to find a workingman 12 online. Any suggestions?
  15. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Nah. Just loosen the E and A enough to take them off the bridge. Don't take thm off the bass. Just slide them to the side. Grab the underside of the bridge firmly. Try to lift it just enough to slide the Realist under. I'd lay the bass on it's back for all of this. The sound post is on the G side so that should be all good. Basses are really not as fragile as they are made out to be. Good luck.

The main thing with a pre is it just offers you a few more controls. The Realist will work fine without it. A HPF would be handy to control boom but not necessary.

Old WM12s have become a bit sought after. Just keep your eyes peeled.
  16. bassist14

bassist14

17. footprints89

footprints89

Thanks a ton for the video, man! That made me even more confident with the process. Though he mentions loosening the g string. He never says to remove it from the bridge or shows him take it off, but at the end he says to put it back on. So do I take it off? I didn't know if it may have slipped off as he was doing it. My other issue is I don't have the locket that holds the Realist in place. Can I purchase one?

Big thanks to all of you for your help!
  18. Barcza

Barcza

I used the GK MB150 for ten years with BP-100 and FC later in many situation without any preamp, and it it works very well. Nice amp for DB.
  19. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

I have a Realist and guts on my bass. No ball ends. I just Velcro'd the jack to the back of the tailpiece.
  20. footprints89

footprints89

good thinkin', fingers. I'm just trying to find an amp for about $300 or a bit less. I know it's not a great price range, but that's all I can do for now.