1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Will I be ready?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThatBassBoy, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ThatBassBoy

ThatBassBoy

Hi, i have started bass since christmas break (got my 1st one for christmas) and i have been self teaching myself from 3 different books (i can give titles (if requested)). My mom has brought up getting a private teacher a few times. If i were to get a teacher and have a 1 hr lesson weekly, do you think i will be good enough to play in my high school's jazz band? starts this august.

2. Hactar

Hactar

With the lessons, you should be plenty ready.

I've made it through 3.5 years of high school jazz band. Started playing a few years before that, never took any formal lessons. Granted, the rigor of my jazz band may not be the same as the rigor of your jazz band.

IMHO, here's the essentials:
    Learn to read music if you don't already know how, and learn some jazz standards. Get comfortable with walking in every scale. Learn the basics of modes. Be able to play 12 bar blues in your sleep. Make friends with the drummer. Practice on your own a lot, and noodle around a lot.

3. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Depends on how much time you spend practicing. If you really dedicate yourself to playing, yes you will. But either way, definitely sign up for the lessons. You don't want to let bad habits start sinking in, and you will progress much faster.

4. corsa

corsa Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would start by asking that question of your jazz band's director.

I did exactly what you're talking about when I was in high school. I played in our jazz band very shortly after picking up the instrument. In my case, the band's goal was to work up three or four songs over the course of a semester for a performance at the end of the year. In that time frame, I was able to put together a passable rendition of those few songs and played them basically from memory. (And I was taking lessons once a week to help me with the songs and technique)

If the band's goal had been to compete in the Mingus Competition or something similar, it would have been out of the question. However, with that modest goal and an understanding director, we made it work.

Whether you shoot for the jazz band or not, I would recommend lessons. You can self-teach but you'll probably find that you advance much faster with good instruction.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msaone

msaone

Can't say. How are you playing now? Are you along to the instrument, or doing well with the books?
    Really depends on you. What do you think?

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

You are faced with a no brainier. Never turn down lessons with an instructor. Jump at the chance to be part of a jazz band, you will never regret it.
    :hyper::bassist:

8. Russell L

Russell L

It can be done with the proper studying and practicing. A teacher might be able to steer you better than you can your own self. That in itself could save you some time from not floundering alone on the wrong path. The rest is up to you. Some folks will make things happen when needed, some not. Which are you?

9. Sni77

Sni77

Just do it, what's the worst that can happen? If it doesn't work out in the beginning you'll just have to work on it harder.

10. ThatBassBoy

ThatBassBoy

thanks for all of the replies, i will fill in more info about myself

I am in 8th grade at the moment, and i am playing lead alto in my jazz band (so i have 2 years of jazz experience (just not with bass)

i can read bass clef

i practice a lot

the seriousness of my jazz band in my opinion is serious, they have so many people sign-up for it that they have half the people play one day, then the other half the next day

but... the band director has asked the upcoming freshman class if there could be a bassist to sign up (the current one is a senior or junior, idk)

11. banyaksuka

banyaksuka

You should jump at taking lessons, nothing will help you improve more quickly. As for the band, I guess it depends how good they are. But if you put in the practise, I'm betting you'll be ready. It's not a bad way to start, playing in a jazz band. Go for it.