1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Will Lee Yamaha bass ID

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by watspan, Feb 19, 2014.

1. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
  2. I can't help you ID the bass, but it does look similar to the one in the pictures on this website (you might have to scroll through the album, since I couldn't link to any specific picture):

http://quintenhope.com/pictures/start-of-a-new-day---studio/

Quinten Hope is a Dallas-based guitarist who brought Will Lee down here to record on his debut album. I don't have any association with that project, but I used to play a few gigs and blues jams around town with him years ago. He's a great player and super-nice guy.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    thanks--yup, that's it!

Attached Files:

• lee.jpeg
      lee.jpeg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  5. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'm surprised the knowledgeable TB community hasn't ID'd this bass.

6. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Probably because I don't think it's a standard model. I'm no expert, but it appears to be a modified or custom Yamaha bbg4. It's got the body and pickups of the bbg4, but different headstock (4 in a row vs. 2+2) and different electronics (either active or individual volume and tone controls for each pickup). Also, that's a custom color or refin for sure.

Given Mr. Lee's stature, I imagine he could easily ask Yamaha to make him whatever the heck he wants. I would be interested to know why he used it and not his Sadowsky sig bass.

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    No clue......BUT, it does have a couple of features he's known for favoring: J-Bass shape, cover over the neck pup, active with mid adjustment (which he seems to use), and at least 21 frets. It looks as close to a USACG bass as anything else *I* can think of. Love the clear scratch plate and color. Whatever it is - it's probably a smokin' instrument ;)

8. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I wondered if it was a non-US model.

9. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    That session pre-dated the introduction of the Sadowsky Will Lee model.

Regardless, Will has a lot of basses and he will play whichever bass he thinks best matches the tune. I do remember hearing something about Will using a 4 and a 5 string model that was a Japan market only model, but I'm not sure if it was custom or stock.