1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Will MEC Jazz pups fit J-bass pup routing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MatrikzDaClown, Nov 13, 2012.

1. MatrikzDaClown

MatrikzDaClown

I'm honestly not sure if this thread should go here or to the luthier section. Sorry if it's in the wrong location.

I've posted a few threads on here about putting a bass together through warmoth. I RREEAALLYY want to use MEC Jazz pickups in this thing, but Warmoth does not offer MEC brand. Only Seymour Duncan, and Linda Fralin pups for my particular body style. My question is, will this routing configuration for the SD jazz style pups, work for me using the MEC?

They don't specify that they drill the holes for your pickups, but only routing. So if the routing config for this will work for the MEC's, then I'll have them do it in the build. If not, I'll have to have a luthier do it.

Any opinions and experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

There is a set of MEC's in the For Sale section for dirt cheap. I would have bought them myself but they will not fit in my bass which uses two short J pickups.

What size routes do you have?
  3. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

Yes they will fit. MEC follows the "standard" 4-string J size (same as Fralin, SD, Nordstrand, etc...)

PS - I have a 2-Band MEC Active preamp for sale ($65 bucks) if your interested.
  4. MatrikzDaClown

MatrikzDaClown

The bass isn't routed yet. It's currently not even in the process of being built. I want all my ducks in a row before I start this. I'm not one for last minute surprises on something I'm spending this much on. If they're up there on Friday I'll probably grab them, but I'm also going to need 5 string pups.

I'm definitely interested because i haven't even priced out a pre-amp. I'm going to have to get that routed by a luthier. They don't offer it on the body i'm looking into.

My concern about the routing/pickup match, is that on the warmoth builder site that I've been playing with, they say the 5 string pups are 4" Neck, 4 1/8" bridge. I found some specs on the MEC and they stated it as 19mmx91mm & 19mm x 95mm. I converted it the best I could, and 91mm = (roughly) 3.6", and 95 = (roughly) 3.75. i'm worried that these 4 and 4 1/8 routes will be way to big. If you're positive about them fitting, I'll listen. Not much else to go on, but I've also considered buying the body and the pickups and having someone here route it to guarantee it fits the way it should.