Will my Carvin R600 work for bar gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Zephrant, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Zephrant

Zephrant

So I bought my first full stack from a friend that is moving- All Carvin, with a R600 head, and a R210T and R115 cabs.

The Carvin head has two 300W amps in it, setup for highs and lows, each amp is wired to one cab.

I'm not yet impressed with the volume. In my house, it's great of course, but it feels weak, compared to my Behringer BXL3000 combo amp (300W, 1x15). I'm actually afraid to turn up the Behringer past 2.5.

But the with the Carvin turned way up, it's loud, but not scary loud. I'm still learning the controls, but with my bass turned all the way up, input at 12, and power amp controls at 10, I can turn up the master volume pretty high and not crack plaster.

I realize that loud is not everything, and I actually don't like loud but I don't want to take it to a gig and be underwhelmed.

Will it perform for good-sized bar gig? Do I just need to learn how to set it up, or will the sound carry better than I think?

The set is like new- never gigged, used only occasionally in a home recording studio by an Electrical Engineer, etc... So I'm pretty certain it's not blown or damaged in any way.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

It should With the right cabs That thing can get really loud. The carvin redline cabs arent the best though. I had one and was running 2 2x15s on one channel and a 6x10 and a 2x15 on the other. I only had to turn up to like 3 on the master. The trick is to set the volume for each channel the same. Id do them at like 7 or so. Then use the master to control volume.

3. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

With two 8 ohm cabs, it is going to give you only 250 watts (download the manual here): http://www.carvinservice.com/crg/manual_finder.php
    If you bridge it, then you will get 600 watts. Don't forget you can also Bi-amp them to get more low-end with your 1x15. The R600 is plenty loud enough for any small to medium sized venue. Any larger venue, you will be either mic'ed or DI'ed into the PA anyways. You have more than enough power for any venue you may come across.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Make sure your cabs are 8 ohms each before you bridge it. Also, make sure the buttons are set right. My BX1200 has a BRIDGE button on the back. As with all Carvin's that I've had, keeping the BASS knob at noon and boosting the low mids at higher volumes really makes the amp sing LOUDLY.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Food for thought.

You won't need to be scary loud in most bars.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Very true. Never had to turn my amp past half in years. I wanna be in tune with my drummers volume whatever the stage.

8. Zephrant

Zephrant

Well with your encouragement that it should work, I found my main issue today. I was using the active input, since my LTD had an active EQ/output on it. But no matter how hard I hit the strings, I could not light the clip LED. So I switched to the passive input, and wow, what a difference. With the input gain set to 0, I can just barely clip, when I hit it hard.

But the output is much better.

I did check, and the cabs are both 4 ohms, so I should get 250+250 watts out of it, the way I have it setup now.

Thanks for the link to the manual. From the pictures, I have the Series III.

I feel much better showing up at a gig with this, and knowing I can throw the sound however it's needed for the venue.

Thanks all!