1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

will my strings survive drop CGCF

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by florisld, Feb 9, 2013.

1. florisld

florisld

When I played in drop A a while back my E string popped, i figured it was too low(the strings were on it when i bought the bass, so probably ****** ones)
    ive been playing for 6 months so im still kind of a beginner,

i have a new set of Rotosound now from 50-110.

i use this tuning for playing fast with a pick , will they survive drop c? and b?
  2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

It depends on how you are tuning to drop C or B or A. If you were tuning an E string UP to an A then I can believe it would pop, it was too tight. If you were tuning an E string DOWN to an A I can believe it would be too floppy to play but the only reason it would pop would be because you caught it on something you were walking past while carrying the bass!

I don't drop tune, but I do tune my bass in fifths: CGDA. Personally I think that 0.110 is too light to tune as low as a C, let alone B or A. My C strings are 0.128 to 0.145, depends on what I can get in a given brand and model of string. That is a good size range for that tuning and one of my basses has a drop tuning key on it as well so I can switch between C and the A below and a 0.130 flat wound handles both of those notes well. The strings you have certainly will be safe with drop C as long as you tune DOWN from E. They would be too floppy for my tastes but that should not cause them to fail early.

Ken
  3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Yea if you're drop tuning you'll be fine. I have a .115 as my low c and it's totally fine, not floppy at all. .105 was a little floppy so I'm guessing .110 will be ok. I play with my fingers, and dig in pretty good, so you should be fine with a pick.
  4. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I tuned to CGCF on a p bass before and also used .115's no issues at all
  5. lebaron

lebaron

gotta say it depends on how hard you hit the strings, I downtune to C# on some bases (with .110s), and can if I'm to eager playing live hit it to hard making the string flop (and also make the note go sharp). but 115 with moderate strength should work.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It will be extremely floppy and hard to play but I am sure it will be do-able.

Consider that a proper B string ranges from .125-.135, if you intend to tune a half step above it I would go with at least .120.

If you intend on keeping you bass with giant strings you might want to consider getting the nut cut for the string sizes you are using.
  7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I use 60-75-95-125 gauges for C#-F#-B-E tuning.
    Works great.