Will neutering a pit bull calm him down

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Steve S

Steve S

My daughter has a pit bull named Casius who is slightly over a year old. Casius has been a very sweet dog, kind, affectionate and even lets our 19 year old cat bully him around. Last nite my daughter told us that lately, Casius has been aggressively going after other non-neutered dogs...growling, spitting, just making a scene. One day, her boyfriend had to pull Casius off of a dog and when he did, Casius turned and growled at him. She's wondering if neutering will calm him down. She's worried because she's expecting a child soon and doesn't want to be in a situation where she has to control a 75 pound animal while pregnant.

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Yep, neuter him. He'll calm down a LOT, you will be quite surprised!

3. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Neutering will help.

However, I strongly recommend that you either get a good trainer to work with the dog - and more importantly your daughter & b/f, or at the minimum get her the first Cesar Millan book, and have her follow it like a religion.

I have a pair of very HYPER dogs (not anything like a pit, no aggression, just ENERGY) that would destroy my backyard when I wasn't home.

Following what he describes in the book has turned two whirling dervishes into a pair of big lap dogs.

With a pit, you need to make sure you have control over it (not physical, but mental/psychological) at all times, because they are very strong dogs. Dogs are a reflection of their owners, they need to make sure the dog understands clearly who is #1 at all times, and that he is not only not #1, but not #2 or even #3 (once the baby arrives), but the last in line.

4. XtreO

XtreO

Does neuter mean cut of his manhood? :S Why would you want to do that? Then he only has food to live for.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

I'd seriously be worried about your grandchild, and not becuase it's a pitbull. We considered giving away my dog (20 lb mutt) because of "jealousy"/territorial issues when we brought our 1st born home. Dogs are like people, some are assholes. You don't want a 75 lb dog establishing his dominance over a child.

Mike

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Just the testicles are removed.

8. L-A

L-A

It has significant impact over him.

However, if she's not alpha with the dog, neutering is not a miracle solution. She HAS to be the boss.

9. Steve S

Steve S

When she first brought the dog home as a little puppy, I was concerned because of all the negative hype surrounding those dogs but he quickly won me over with his affection. Now that he's gotten older, his behavior has changed slightly as he's not as playful as he once was prefering to find a spot and lay down. Because he's gotten so big, I do worry about walking him in public because of the way other people look at him. One man came up to me and told me that a friend of his had a dog that looked just like Casius and that friend always carried a loaded .45 with him whenever he walked the dog, just in case he lost control of him. That shook me up...

10. CrispyDelicious

CrispyDelicious

Yes, chop his nuts. World of difference, but +1 to a serious training.

Have you ever raised a dog before? Pits aren't really "beginner dogs".

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Ahh....another well thought out adoption selection

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Dogs are not like people where we can live in groups of equal individuals. They either rule or follow a ruler. If they live in a household where the other members of the pack (people) don't clearly show this type of dominance hierarchy, then they get confused and may try to become dominant, often at seemingly random times. Bringing in new members (children) often triggers dogs that are used to being in control of a household (according to their way of thinking) to become aggressive toward them and they can even become vicious.

Of course, most dogs in normal situations won't act this way because they know their place and can sense that it "isn't allowed" to attack people or other pets in the house but the exceptions happen often enough that it's something to be concerned about. And some breeds are more likely than others to behave this way.

It happened to my sister when she was 10 years old and visiting a relative's house and their dalmatian became suddenly territorial and took a bite out of her arm and she still has a very large and obvious scar from it.

13. Steve S

Steve S

I lost two dogs when I was a kid and it hurt me so bad that I didn't want to go through that experience again. For that reason, I never had a dog when I was raising my kids. Casius is the first dog that my daughter has owned.

14. Steve S

Steve S

I really appreciate these comments because it's been years since I've been around a dog. When my daughter first brought Casius home, she was still living with us so we really got to see him grow up. He was such a kind and affectionate dog but we heard that their personalities change as they get older.

15. Steve S

Steve S

I thought the same thing too...

16. tplyons

tplyons

Yep, my lab was the same way... the Cesar Milan stuff is incredible.

17. NJL

NJL

my rottie has been nut-less for some time now.. he shares his backyard with occasional cats, lots of birds and squirrels.. he's a big baby..

i attribute this to denutting him, training him and me always being the pack leader - that little bitch better go to the kitchen and make me a pie!

18. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Get him neutered and get it done NOW.

The aggresion is developing because the dog is close to adulthood. At 1 year old Testosterone is flooding through him as he goes through the dog equivalent of adolescence and puberty, and just like a human these hormones flooding through him will lead to mood swings and agressive tendencies? Remember when you were a teenager and you would fly into a rage for no rational reason? Now imagine that same effect coursing through a powerful dog who has no concept of right or wrong and will just go with wherever that rage leads them.

Getting him neutered will stop that testosterone rush, it won't do it immediately, it'll take a few weeks to settle down. But you will have a more placid good natured dog, and aside from taking away surplus aggresion it will stop any leg humping as well

Do it quickly though, my vet recommends getting most dogs neutered at 6 months old before they start to develop secondary sexual characteristics (leg cocking and leg humping), but she also recommends doing that at 5 months for breeds that are bred for their fighting prowess or aggresive tendencies like pitbulls.

Better to nip the dogs nuts than for the dog to nip the baby

19. woffle

woffle

Pregnant and then later a new member in the house+a PIT. With so little experience,youre not serious.
    Woffle

20. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

In addition to neutering, which makes a male dog much easier to work with, is make sure that he is getting plenty of exercise. Young active dogs need at least 1.5 hours of hard, sustained running every day. You keep a dog like that cooped up in the house with his balls still on is bound to act out the moment he's 'let out' so to speak.

That's too bad he's getting territorial about his personal space. I don't let my dog have any territory.

One way to assert human dominance is for all members of the family to hand feed the dog at mealtime, and making sure the dog is getting the discipline, exercise, and consistency it needs to stay in line.

Some good books I suggest are:
    http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/pr...understanding-and-communicating-with-your-dog
    http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB464

Cesar Millan (Dog Whisperer) also has some good suggestions, some of which I think can be overbearing with certain dogs. He does have a reputation for being great with the aggressive/fighting breeds. His book, Cesar's Way might be another good one to read (as suggested above.)

21. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Kai's points are excellent, although I don't think that for this situation Cesar's methods would be problematic. If they were effective with my two milquetoast pups, a pit will be just fine.

The exercise thing is HUGE, if I don't walk my dogs regularly for at least an hour a day, all kinds of holes start appearing in the backyard....with a dog like the pit the OP's daughter is dealing with, that energy will not be dealt with by digging, and THAT is going to be a big deal.

That dog needs EXERCISE, check out some Cesar for ideas, like training the dog to use a treadmill (mine did fine on it after a few minutes!).