Will room heat hurt my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass Fund, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

It gets hot in the room I stay in. Hotter than the rest of the house, so much so that you end up sweating. Will this hurt the finish or neck of my bass? Will it dry out the ebony fingerboard too much?

2. cnltb

cnltb

I don't think it'll be a problem.
    If in doubt turn down the heating. :)

3. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Definitely better if you can keep it a room with lower temperature and higher humidity. Dry heat can dry out and wood and affect the neck causing changes in action and "fret sprout" where the edges of the frets stick out and abrade your fingers. Shouldn't cause much of a problem for a typical electric bass body and finish. Hollow body instruments like upright basses, acoustic guitars, mandolins, etc with thinner wood and lacquer finishes may suffer more from the warm dry air.

4. Major Softie

Major Softie

"Will room heat hurt my bass?"

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Probably not.

Depends.

Hot enough to make you sweat still isn't very hot. Instruments don't care much about being 85 degrees (F), but that would be really hot for your room.

What instruments (and anything made of wood) don't like is getting too dry, and wide fluctuations: widely fluctuating temperatures and/or widely fluctuating humidity. A house that is hot and humid when no one is home, but then has the air conditioning turned on when people are there, THAT is one of the worst things for wood: the air conditioning both quickly changes the temperature, AND it sucks moisture out of the air.

If your room stays pretty much the same temperature, you're probably fine. If the temperature fluctuates wildly, that's way worse for an instrument than the room being hot enough to make you sweat.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

Thank you for the replies.

My concern is really the wood cracking around the input jack. It's an older Alembic, and I've seen a few examples of such basses with cracks at that very spot, which could just be from the chord getting caught and snagged. Walnut is known to crack easy, though.

The room is stay in is right next to the gas heater, so it stays the hottest.

7. Arnie

Arnie

The only place I can keep my basses is my family room where the fireplace is. I believe this causes wear and tear on the necks. Unfortunately this is the only place I have.

8. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Dingo;)

9. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Probably the worst place to keep your instrument is near a fireplace. Find a corner in your room, under bed, anywhere away from dry heat.

10. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Its really dry here and I have a woodstove.....so last year I bought a little humidifier for my case and it turned my keys and made them start to oxidize. This winter I an just going to store them in the closet without them.....maybe damp a rag and leave it in the closet.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

Maybe a dingo ate your baby.

:bag:

Keep an eye on the humidity or you'll turn your bass into driftwood. Preferably above 40% IMO.

12. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I've do happen to store it in the closet at night. It's a little cooler in there. Thanks for replies.

13. TreeTheStudly

TreeTheStudly

Though I don't know much about this topic, just remember to oil your fretboard as often as necessary. That will at least keep that part in good shape.

14. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

that's only if your fingerboard is unfinished, and I have Fenders that are 20 years old that have never seen any oil on the board, go through a lot of weather changes (southwest to southeast and back) and still look new :smug:

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not required. At all. I have two 60's basses that have been in low humidity environments for more than 40 years without oiling the fretboards. They're in great shape.

If you want to buy some insurance, check pawn shops for a used humidifier and put it in the room. If you keep some humidity in the air, a hot room is no issue. Just don't grab it and run outside into -10 degree temps.

16. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

Don't worry, I keep my bass in my room, which right now is about 60 degrees, and in the summer gets up to 90 degrees, and I haven't had an issue yet. It's a cheap bass too, Ibanez. I think it's a gsr100mb, and I've had it for about eight years, 4 of which I hadn't touched it cause I wasn't inerested. I just put some wax on my fretboard recently, so that should help. The wax I used is the plain crayons you use for outlining easter eggs. Just apply, and scrub until you can't easily leave a fingerprint.