Will this head+cab combo work?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MadModBassist, Jan 21, 2014.

1. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Got a Markbass TA501 recently, but still need a cab. Looking at the Eden D115XLT, which is a 400W RMS at 8 ohms cab. The Markbass is 300W RMS at 8 ohms and 500W RMS at 4 ohms. Would this be a safe combo or should I look for a different 15 or 18 cab that can function safely at the 500W 4 ohms level?

2. lz4005

lz4005

You're asking if you can safely send 300 watts into a cab rated for 400 watts.

3. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Figured haha, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem with the 4 ohms rating. As you can probably tell, I know nothing of rigs and this is me assembling my first.

4. Cirk

Cirk

Sounds safe to me. If you decide you need more volume, get an identical cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Your amp is capable of running at 4 ohms; it is safe to run it at 8ohms, not safe to try pushing cab config that is under 4 ohms. You can run two 8 ohm cabs (which equals 4 ohms total load). You can run one 4 ohm cab, not two because that would take it to 2 ohms, and that would be pushing your amp beyond its design limits. Jam away, my friend, and feel free to crank it!

fnord!

7. nick98338

nick98338

"function safely" does not mean "sound good". Almost all ported (vented) cabinets will not handle their wattage rating and sound good doing it. The wattage rating is usually the "thermal" rating. In other words, the wattage at which the speaker melts. At about 2/3 of that thermal rating is a point where the speaker starts to distort, and sound bad. Especially at certain frequencies which just happen to be the frequencies that bass players use a lot. So, even if your cabinet is rated at 400 watts, you won't be able to put that whole 400 watts into it. It will begin to melt at 400 watts, and start sounding bad at around 300 watts. For safety sake, you may want to put only 250 watts through it. So, a 300 watt amp and a cab that can realistically handle 250-300 watts can function safely together. They are just about right for each other for safety. The only question is... can the combination provide enough volume for your purposes?

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Well when you look at the cabinet from the point of view of excursion, the driver in that cabinet could possibly use maybe 200W. It's a valid concern. :)

9. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Ah, sounds great then! I didn't understand the ohm requirements of running more than one cab, which is probably something I'll be doing in the future. Thanks for the know!

Ah, didn't think about that. I just kinda thought it was like Match Game or something.
    As far as volume concerns go, I'll mostly be gigging in smallish bars and clubs, with the potential for small stage gigs.

10. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Ooh, here's another idea. Just saw an LDS 2x15 2x6 (B&C neo 6s) cab rated at 750W for $400. That would probably liven up things a bit, huh? Thoughts? Seems like a better deal.

11. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Since a bit of paranoia in some "danger" posts here.

I built cabs with old speakers without wattage specs (believe me, I tried to find the info). I use a power amp that is capable of blowing them both at once, probably on just one channel. I don't, though. I simply don't increase the gain to those levels since I know my cabs. :eyebrow:

If you are just playing bars or practice spaces, I think you're good to go with that head and the Eden you mentioned in first post, or consider a 4ohm cab or 2 8ohms so your amp is pushing the 500watts and you have more air getting pushed around with the increase in speaker surface. Get the cab(s) that sound best; they don't have to be rated above the maximum output of your amp. Give yourself some credit, and assume that you're intelligent enough not to sabotage your own gear by playing the knucklehead and cranking to 11. :smug:

f n o r d !

12. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Good to know! Thank you so much for your insight. I'll check out both if I can and then decide from there.

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That's enough cab for any bar gig.