Will this Rig Work for Me?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ben Berd, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Ben Berd

Ben Berd Supporting Member

I've got some cash and was thinking about upgrading my rig. I have an ampeg B2r running a Trace 410 and 118 (I know, I know, its a way underpowered amp for that stack) Its just way too big and heavy. I was thinking about getting an Aggy 500 and building 2 BFM Jack 12's. I play a range of gigs from quiet jazz background music at an art gala, to super loud rock in an auditorium with no PA support. I'm worried that it won't keep up in the rock setting.
    Thanks for the help,
    -Ben
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Personally I would go with the 15" version of the cabs. The Aguilar is not under powered by any means, but it is also not the most powerful amp out there. If you know you like the sound of the BFM cabs, they have a ton of mid range sensitivity.
  3. Ben Berd

I guess I kind of failed to mention I'm also looking for portability. I guess efficiency is a better word. I may be asking a lot and I'm also not looking to spend a TON of money (reason for building my own BFMs). I also like the idea of having 2 1x12s so I can split them up for different gigs.
  4. rythmicillusion

rythmicillusion Supporting Member

Up until recently, I was gigging in a similar way; acoustic music in a small restaurant one night, then loud rock outdoors to several hundred people with no-PA support the next. I had done that for about a year or so with a 500 watt SS amp. It did the job, but was maxed for the big gigs and ended up sounded flat. Then I upgraded to a 900 watt SS amp and everything changed. The headroom gave me a lot of confidence and felt substantially more defined/musical on the bigger gigs.

IMO For around the same price as Tone Hammer 500, the Mark Bass LM 800 will give you a lot more versatility.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You might look at preamp plus poweramp and three or four 12's if you're outdoors without PA.
  7. Ben Berd

Could you run the Aggie with a slave so that I only have to bring the slave occasionally and can use the aguilar by itself otherwise? Also, I was thinking of starting off with 2 1x12's for cost purposes.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Must likely you can slave it one way or the other. Or use the pedal preamp version with a power amp. Cost about the same in total.
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'm afraid you're the only one who can answer the question whether or not it will work for you.

If you're looking to get super loud in the highbass through the mids, a Jack is pretty hard to beat. If you're looking to get loud in the low lows (which I think a lot of people think they are but they're really not), it's barking up the wromg tree.

Some bit of context/tone/gig requirements/what other band members are using and how they're using it/size of venue/PA abilities (or lack of
    ), would help.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    One thing you don't want to do when blasting a room with your backline rig is overshadow/mask/wash out the kickdrum and floortom....or the vocals....or anything else for that matter. Most "volume problems", are really "eq/mix slotting" problems.

Ultimately, when people start talking about big-game, lethal at range rigs, I always wonder, "what are you doing with your drums?".

Sometimes more isn't more....it's less. If you're creating a big, huge, loud bass guitar sound that covers up other instruments, you're not helping....you're hurting.

Big, fat bass tone is an awesome thing....as long as it blends with the band and doesn't clobber them. Oftentimes that means good mix slotting/complimentary tones, rather than volume adjustments.
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Yes.....and it's a good idea.
  12. Ben Berd

I play with a guitarist with a Blues Jr that is usually dimed and a Bonham-esk drummer but i also play with a very mild open mic group (I'm not worried about keeping up with them). I also play super mellow gigs with the first guitarist and drummer. I guess I'd have to say I like a very low sound but i'm usually not all THAT particular. I usually play a 4 string. As far as gigs go it varies, like I said before, I've played art galas alongside a flutist. The most my amp struggled was as the house rig in a 150-200 person auditorium with NO PA support. I'm really looking for portability but still being able to keep up with a loud rock band. It might be impossible in my budget.
  13. Ben Berd

I might just go through with it and get the Th500 and see how it works with 2 Jacks and if I need more power I can always add a slave and more cabs right?
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That's a plan. Otherwise you could do one of the biamping rigs with a sub and jack.
  15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Although I know that it's not the point of this thread, maybe it's time to start saving up for a PA.
  16. Ben Berd

Only a few times have we had to bring our own pa. It's just a crappy old peavey with some mismatched monitors but it gets the job done.
  17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The Aggie and two 12" Jacks should cover all but the biggest of gigs, though the 15's will load a little deeper (as long as you're not looking for subwoofer-esque lows from the backline). For the large auditoriums, might consider slaving to a poweramp and subwoofer, via a crossover, and let your 2 Jacks run north of 80-100hz or so. If you don't have full PA, then mix a little kickdrum into the sub.
  18. rogypop

rogypop

+1 for jack 15's, they got more sensitivity down where the meat & potatoes are. The size/price difference between 12 and 15 is just a few inches and few bucks.