Wimpy guitar?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Denver Max, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Denver Max

Denver Max

I recently started playing with a guitarist who I have jammed with in the past. I started writing songs with the intention of being in a drum/bass duo. It's high-energy loud noisy punk-ish rock stuff. I've been using a lot of fuzz and playing really driving baselines. Its a little complex at times, mostly rhythmically, but not math rock or anything.

Anyways, when he mentioned he would be interested in playing, I went back and simplified the songs a bit, changing more of the guitar like parts into more bassy riffs, both to give him more room sonically, and so I could sing over it a little easier. The only problem is that his guitar parts don't really shine overall. He's a good player, and he has written some stuff in these songs that really impressed me. He gets where I'm coming from musically and is really positive and open minded. His guitar playing seems to lack confidence and it seems like he intentionally turns down lower than me so that sometimes I can barely hear him, and I'm not playing crazy loud.

I don't know what to do. I've hit a creative spurt, and I've had at least one new song/idea every time we've gotten together. Am I overwhelming him? He brought a song to the table and I really dug it, and ended up writing to it, but we have the same problem. As soon as I start playing, he backs off. This music needs confidence! Attitude!

How do I inspire him? Is it me? This is also the first time I've taken the band leader role and I worry that I'm doing it wrong. He suggested bringing in a keyboard player and while I didn't immediately shoot it down, he could tell I wasn't 100% about it. I have played with the guy before and it was one of the worst musical experiences of my life. Anyways, maybe I'm just having trouble adjusting to being the lead guy. I dunno. Anyone ever been in this situation? I see people talking all the time about guitarists being too loud or cocky, so its weird to have the opposite problem.
  2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

My guitarist does this to me a lot. We are a three-piece cover band, and if it's a song that he's not comfortable with, he will "hide" behind me a little. However, if he is really comfortable with the song, he'll crank it up!
  3. Denver Max

Denver Max

Well. I guess I'm one of two people with this problem haha.
  4. millsbass5

millsbass5

Kiss his ass for a few practices. Guitar players LOVE THIS. As a matter of fact, if you do, you'll soon be writing us a post on how to remedy the situation of him acting like your normal, everyday guitar-playing ass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Denver Max

Denver Max

Yes! I can't wait.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Put his amp up on a stand so it's at ear level so no one can miss it.

Do some rehearsal recordings and discuss it with him.

Tell him he needs to be heard in balance with you to make the band sound good. "If you can't do it for yourself, do it for the band!"
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

or do the opposite, leave it on the floor pointed at his knees so he can't really hear it and cranks up more.