Windows 7 vs Windows 8

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tdf_xi, Feb 23, 2013.

1. tdf_xi

tdf_xi

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes anyway.
    I'm planning on buying a new laptop in the near future and wasn't sure if I should stick with W7 or get a copy of W8. I remember reading a blog a while ago saying that W8 is better for audio recording and such. On the other hand I also saw posts stating that latency is higher on W8. Anyone got any experience with this?
    On a side note, I only started playing bass a short while ago. My current setup is bass -> Komplete Audio 6 -> Guitar Rig 5 through Reaper.

2. Oblique

Oblique

You'll be just fine with Win7. I've built 3 computers over the past year and a half with Windows 7 , two for studio recording, and it runs great - it's what Vista should have been.
    I haven't kept up on Win8 since it was in beta but I did hear audio latency did suffer a bit - pro audio not being a priority for MS.
    The big thrust of Win8 seems to be the touch screen interface, if You don't need it stick with 7.
    Good Luck

3. ecj_bass

ecj_bass Supporting Member

Most drivers and DAW's are updated for the Windows 7 architecture. Windows 8 isn't fully supported by all major brands yet, so I'd say stick with Windows 7.

4. mrbell321

mrbell321

I've actually had more latency issues with Windows 7.
    Windows 8 is kind of a mess, but it doesn't seem like MS is backing down on it at all, so we're stuck with it for a while.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tdf_xi

tdf_xi

Thanks for the input.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

I'll eventually upgrade. Just waiting for SP1 and drivers myself. :D

8. chee666

chee666

Windows is bad man...

9. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor

Windows 8 is the worst thing Microsoft has ever come out with. Those of you reading that statement thinking those are words lacking wisdom, I assure you they are not.

10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I could deal with 8 if it were possible to run 'Metro' in a window. Full screen Solitaire????

11. 3506string

3506string

I'm having no problems with Win8 and I moved from vista. I'm not sure what all the dramatics over win8 are about. The main difference is the start menu and the addition of applications. Everything runs exactly the same as it did on vista except my markbass stand alone program. The VST still works through reaper but the stand alone won't launch. Start up and Shut downs are faster. Switching between apps and desktop mode is smooth and quick. The start screen takes some getting used to but it's not nearly as serious as people are making it, at least not to me. :meh:

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

I metro is a learning challenge for you there's several websites that explain how to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7.

13. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor

The star screen is the problem, a HUGE problem. It's called "Windows 8" not "Tiles 8" for one. I wouldn't have a problem with tiles on a phone, pad, or some other type of touch interface device. Why put tiles into an interface with a mouse? ... Farce.

14. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

FWIW, both OS's are giving fits to folks with DAW's. STILL.

If it HAS to be Windows, your recording machine should be outfitted with XP, believe it or not.

15. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Win 7 will have more consistent driver and software support, to be honest. Windows 8 might run fine, but there is no sense in having fluff that you won't use or risking incompatibility...which is inevitably possible with any new OS.

16. Troph

Troph

What "fits" are caused by Windows 7 exactly, at this point? :eyebrow:

As far as DAWs are concerned, there is very little difference between Win7 and Win8. You aren't going to be running the DAW in the Metro interface anyway, since it's a regular desktop application, and nearly all drivers that work on Win7 will work on Win8 unless the vendor has put a specific installation block.

In general, 3rd party driver support is always better for the previous version of Windows, until hardware interface manufacturers decide to put some hours into testing and bug-fixing their drivers on the latest OS.

Under no circumstances should you install XP at this point.

17. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

ADVICE TO ALL PC USERS:

I have been in the business of PC hardware and software for about 10 years and never have I seen a windows OS come out that was 99% functional right off the bat.

If you value your time and money.. stick with Windows 7 for now until some time goes by for bug fixes and driver issue fixes and if you're using Vista you might as well upgrade to 7 if you want to save yourself time and money equally. Vista was probably the most horribly put together OS windows came out with since windows ME.

18. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

This.

19. Troph

Troph

Actually as far as DAWs are concerned, there aren't a ton of differences between the Vista and Win7. (Although you might want to disable the search indexer on Vista, since it doesn't use low-priority disk IO, which was a new feature added in Vista.)

Visa has its faults, but most of the complaints I hear are generic and unsubstantiated. If you have specific problems which are Vista's fault, I'd love to hear them. Win7 made almost no changes to the nuts and bolts of Vista under the hood; the vast majority of the changes were in "cosmetics" and "ecosystem improvements", i.e. making sure that 3rd party vendors got drivers tested and shipped in time.

At this point, I would agree that Win7 is probably the best DAW platform, but only because Vista has been abandoned and 3rd party drivers are not quite up to par for Win8.

20. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

According to every teacher I've had Windows 8 is a nightmare for most software; not everything is up-to-date.

21. stretchcat

stretchcat

You should try Windows ME.