1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Winfield Thomas Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MoFoTWeeTeR, Jan 24, 2014.

1. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

Hello. I've been playing electric bass for about 12 years. I'm looking to get into playing an upright. I stumbled across a "Winfield Thomas" 3/4 bass. Has anyone played one of these or have any thoughts on it? I'm looking into buying it tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Never heard of a Winfield Thomas double bass. There's a company of the same name out of New York that has built BGs and there's an unrelated company of that name that builds amps. In any case, if you're shopping for a double bass, this is a great place to start.

Edit-- Do you mean this bass? Based on the picture (the sprayed on shiny finish to start), I think you can do better even if that means adding $100-$200.

I'll say it before anyone else does. If you want to make the switch, then get a teacher. The BG and DB are two related, but very different instruments. The DB is so much more than a BG turned 90 degrees. :) A good teacher will help you to avoid injury and to develop and maintain proper technique.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Don't be in a hurry to buy. Get some knowledge first.