1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wireless Mic

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by rapidfirerob, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

The singer in my band has a wireless mic/in ear monitor set up. I don't think it was that expensive as it has feedback issues often times, but not always. Switching to a wired mic clears the problems up. He won't give up on the thing. Other than someone in the band stealing it and throwing it in a large body of water,
    any suggestions?
  2. steveksux

steveksux

What's the model # of the mic? Since he's using IEMs the only feedback issues are from the mains. Doubt the wired/wireless thing makes a difference, more likely an omni/cardiod mic difference. Unless the has a habit of wandering in front of the mains when wireless, and a short mic cord keeps him corralled behind the mains.

Randy
  3. rapidfirerob

I don't know the model, but it feedback when he is standing in the middle of the stage. The sound man at our last gig said he should throw it away and buy an expensive wireless if he insists on using the thing.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We need the model, or at least the brand.
  5. rapidfirerob

I understand. He's sensitive about this subject. I was hoping to get some general information before broaching the subject with him. I don't know the best course of action to take with him. No other issues with the guy, thankfully.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mic technique. Unless it's something like a Nady, it ain't the mic.
  7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Just because he is IEM, doesn't mean the rest of the band is. It might be the other monitor levels. It might just be a crappy mic.

I have been through lots of crappy wireless mics. Feedback aside, they don't always sound as good as the wired counterpart. Even the SM-58 PGX24 didn't sound as good as the wired counterpart, and thats about as much as an amature wants to spend on a mic. We ended up buying the SLX Beta 87 and have been very happy with it. Decent wireless is just expensive.

Make sure he isn't cupping the mic. That causes feedback as well.
    Wes
  8. rapidfirerob

He's the only one with an IEM. The wireless mic seems unnecessary IMO. I used to play wireless and realized it wasn't something I needed, plus had no problems playing with cables. On rare occasions, he will walk off the stage to sing in the audience. "Decent wireless is expensive" makes sense.
  9. uhdinator

uhdinator

The non digital wireless sm58 sounds worse than the wired version as it uses
    Companding. Signal is compressed, transmitted to receiver then expanded.
    It changes the quality. New Shure digital
    Wireless units don't use companding.

Cheap mic's sound like you're singing in a bucket and usually have more feedback
    Issues.
  10. rapidfirerob

I believe the last line sums it up!
  11. lindseyp

lindseyp

Not necessarily true, and that's for every brand out there, it could very easily be the mic. Nothing man-made is perfect. Toss it and get another one.
  12. rapidfirerob

As I said, we'll have to steal it and destroy it.
  13. TimmyP

TimmyP

Turn down the transmitter gain so it isn't clipping all the time (most all come out of the box set for speech, not singing), and turn up elsewhere. This should give better gain before feedback.
  14. rapidfirerob

I'll mention it to him, thanks.