Wireless receiver for bass & IEM?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Ukiah Bass, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Here's an odd question. I've been using a Line 6 G50, and lately a G55 wireless for my bass. The transmitter clips onto my belt. Works great. I'm thinking about adding wireless for my IEMs but it just occurred to me that would require adding a second unit. Is there some way to send the bass and receive IEM signals into one unit instead of having to carry two battery pack units? I can't stand all these gizmos hanging off my body and would love it if there was a way to use just one. Thanks.
  2. kedo

kedo

I don't think so... You'll have to wear one transmitter for bass, and a reciever for ears.

You could attach the bass transmitter to your strap, to decrease discomfort?
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i think you get to wear multiple body packs.

now you just need to add a stereo output jack for piezo saddles on the bass, and get a wireless headset mic; four body packs, that's rock and roll! :p
  4. Ukiah Bass

Well I'm all for consolidating gear whenever possible. Sounds like this could be a possibility for an invention. On the other hand, I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to electronics so my contribution is mostly demand-side concepts.
  5. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    or this: :D

Attached Files:

6. Ukiah Bass

Dudes: your generosity is overwhelming! But seriously, there should be a way to consolidate. That's one thing I hate about music ... how the gear begins to overwhelm the craft. I really prefer to keep it as simple as possible - ESPECIALLY in live performance.
  7. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Seriously,
    to answer OP question, yes I think you need separate belt pack each, one for transmit your bass and one for receive the monitor signal.

I think there's already some products that are like what you want, I forget the detail..but is it specially for bass, or is it good enough, I doubt.
  8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You would think someone would make what you want, but they don't.
  9. Ukiah Bass

I guess there's no chance of cross-talk interference if the packs are on my belt near my lower back? Seems like they'd have to both go there next to each other to avoid colliding with the bass. Is the nearness factor an issue for the bass's receiver and the IEM's transmitter - can they be housed in the same rack? Sorry for the stupid questions....
  10. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

i use both a sennheiser IEM and Wireless bass, both sit on the back of my belt...no probs, and it is not a problem to be in the same rack. at least that has my my experience with our current setup
  11. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

its technically possible, but if it were easy to do, there would be a lot of systems on the market for you to choose from. But - there isn't.

I wouldn't use any wireless system for my bass - even a digital one.They don't have the dynamic range and the time delay robs the transients of their punch.
  12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

??

digital stuff has 20-20k bandwidth, CD-quality dynamic range, and the typical 4ms latency of say a line 6 relay is like standing four feet further away from your amp.
  13. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Say that to Geddy Lee, for instance, or Sting, Larry Graham, or thousand of Bass Players who use wireless system.

Like you, I much prefer the old way, wired system for my bass, but I'll never say that wireless system can't be good enough for bass.
  14. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Get a neotech pouch for your Bass wireless - and attach it to your strap. You won't know it's there.

From what I have read - digital IEM is a way off as the few milliseconds of lag is an issue. With a bass wireless, we compensate by what we hear compared to what we play. But latency in IEM is an issue as we play to what we hear, so we essentially can't compensate. Does that make sense?
  15. Ukiah Bass

About that Neotech pouch: is the small or medium size right for the Line 6 Relay transmitters?

I've experienced no issues with wireless for my bass. I did some recording tests from a Jule Amps Monique DI and a REDDI, both with wired and wireless connections (using a Line 6 Relay G55). I set the G55 to simulate a 20 foot cable, which was what I used for the wired connection. The WAVs and MP3s are indistinguishable between wired and wireless - at least to my ears. Recordings are in this link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/jules-amps-monique-part-5-a-1033913/index6.html#233

I have heard about latency on wireless IEMs. I'm new to that world and am using a wired connection with a Rolls PMD351. Just getting used to them in my studio. There's an opportunity to start gigging with them soon, hence the questions in this thread. Thanks for feedback!
  16. SteveC

SteveC

Do you HAVE to be wireless?
  17. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

HAHA! what?? i use a Line 6 G50, never lost any punch or noticed a time delay.

To answer the OP, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a single unit to transmit your bass signal and receive your IEM signal. I wear 2 body packs. It has never once been an issue. Just buy a LOT of batteries. hahahaha
  18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I have a Line 6 G30 and the neotech pouch and it fits perfectly. Not sure there are other sizes of the pouch (could be wrong). And the quality I get from the G30 is fantastic.
  19. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry, but...

Isn't it some kind like asking "Do You/We Have to play bass?"

:D
  20. Ukiah Bass

There are lots of valid reasons to use wireless. Elimination of stage clutter of cables and accidental tripping and pulling out cables is one. Another is the ability to go into the audience and hear the mix, which is crucial if you're self-mixing from the stage. Wireless is also useful if you tend to roam around the stage during a performance. I'm sure there are other reasons that are equally valid.