wiring 6x10 problem power

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by maajanss, Nov 26, 2012.

1. maajanss

maajanss

I'm building a 6x10 cabinet at the moment for a customer (it's the first 6x10 I've ever built) and I'm not sure how I have to wire it.
    I want to use Eminence Legend BP102 for it. My customer has an Ampeg B2RE (so it has a solid state power amp).
    I've searched a lot on the internet and I've found 2 possible wiring diagrams.

- The first one is the following: 4 - 4 ohm speakers in series (16 ohms) then wired in parallel with 2 - 8 ohm speakers in series (16 ohms) = 8 ohm load
    But if I do it this way, will every speaker have the same power or will the 2 8ohm speakers sound louder than the 4 4ohm speakers?

- The second diagram I've found is: 2 sets of 3 8ohm speakers in parallel, with those 2 sets in series = 5,34 ohm load

Which one of these 2 options will be the best?

Thanks a lot

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Matching impedance all around.

Never mix speakers of different impedance in the same cab.

3. Crater

Crater

Yeah, there's no way to wire up a 6-driver cab with "normal" drivers and have the impedance work out to 4, 8 or 16 ohms. I'd do the series-parallel wiring so each driver gets the same amount of power. I think the original 6-speaker cabs used custom 6 ohm drivers to get the overall impedance close to the standard 4/8/16 ohms. 5.3 ohms is close enough on a solid-state amp, it will work fine.

4. maajanss

maajanss

Thanks for the help ;)

And if I would use a Hartke HA3500 on a cab of 5,34 ohms, is that safe? Cause it has a tube preamp?

And yep, ampeg uses 6 ohm speakers in their 6x10 cabs, but they're a lot more expensive then the Eminence BP102.
    So I'll use 6 Eminence BP102 of 8 ohm to make the cab 5,3 4ohms in total.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Tube or no tube in the pre - does not matter.

Solid State output only cares if you go BELOW the minimum ohm rating.

Totally safe with that amp.

7. maajanss

maajanss

And what will be the total wattage of the cab if I use 6 8 ohm speakers (200W each)? So when I wire 2 sets of 3 8ohm speakers in parallel, with those 2 sets in series?

8. nicoli

nicoli

The HA3500 can safely operate down to 4 ohms so yes it'll be fine... as far as I know a tube preamp makes no difference to what impedance the power section can handle.

9. maajanss

maajanss

Thanks a lot. Do you have any Idea what the total wattage of the cab will be if I use 6 8 ohm speakers (200W each)? So when I wire 2 sets of 3 8ohm speakers in parallel, with those 2 sets in series?

10. David Jayne

David Jayne

Bearing in mind that the 'wattage' number of 200 is the thermal rating and has little relevance to real-world use, figure half the thermal rating- 600 watts.

11. maajanss

maajanss

So the RMS power handling of this cab will be 600 watts?