Wiring Aguilar Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkyZeit, Jan 11, 2013.

1. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

I installed an OBP-3 preamp on my Ibanez SR375F with MK1 pickups. I'm having a couple of issues. First, my bass isn't as loud with the new preamp. It's not too much of a difference, but I thought it would be louder with the new preamp. Second, my tone doesn't seem to change when adjusting bass, middle, and treble. Third, when I grounded the battery and the preamp, no sound came out. I've tried grounding just one or the other, but same result. I ended up taping off the ground wire for both the battery and preamp, but this doesn't seem right. It only works when not grounded. I've grounded all the pots to get rid of some hissing and everything is grounded to the jack. I'm using 50k pots on the EQ and 250k pots on both of the volumes. Just to clarify, I installed the pickups first with the stock preamp and there were no issues, so I can safely rule out that. Any advice?
  2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

you have to trace everything. It is not wired properly. If the bass, treble, and mids do nothing the signal isn't going through the pre amp at all.

You turn up the bass all the way with an Aguilar OBP3 whales 2000 miles away can hear it.
  3. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Take a look at the BestBassGear.com wiring diagrams. These diagrams are spot-on.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/bass-wiring-diagrams.htm

I recently installed my Aguilar OBP-3 after following their diagram and I got mine working the first time and I've never installed an Aguilar before.

Means2nEnd is right. The Aguilar is a very powerful preamp.
  4. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

I used that diagram, but was it intended to be looking at the bottom of the pot or the top? Does my question make sense? I'm wondering if I had the pots flipped when wiring it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongostealth

Per the diagram, you would be wiring the pots while the bottom of the pots are facing you. Therefore, the diagram is supposed to depict upside down pots.

I hope this makes sense.
  7. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

Crap. Ok, thanks!
  8. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

So, I reworked it with the lots facing down and there's not been any change. Also, I still can't figure out why the battery and preamp don't want to be grounded.
  9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Got any pics?
    And are you wiring this up, then installing it or trying to do it while the pots are in the bass?
  10. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

where are you located?
  11. bongostealth

This seems odd. Aguilar preamps are pretty straight forward. Are you using 250K pots?
  12. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

I'll try to post pics soon. I'm located in Dallas. I'm using 250k pots on the volume and 50k on the EQ.
  13. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Men, i don't pretend to disappoint you, but i've done the exact same modification, (but i had no problems with ground) a bass with the same pickups,and the end result was that this preamps and pickups don't match nice together, actually, it sounded the same as with the previous preamp, but i recomend to give it to a tech, and see if we are missing something. Good luck