1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wiring diagram please? 4 way switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pattyløve, Aug 23, 2011.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody could help me out with a wiring diagram. I have a PJ bass and a 4 way switch and want to wire it up so it goes:
    -Neck
    -Both in parallel
    -Both in series
    -Bridge

It's mostly the series/parallel thing that has me a little confused, i could wire up a 3 way switch if that was what i wanted.

Edit: It's a rotary switch.. Don't know if it will make a difference to the diagram.
  2. line6man

line6man

3. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    line6man, you are a deadset legend. Knew i could depend on you ;)
  4. 4848277

Disclosures:
    Name: Tom
    Hello Pat,

The diagram that line6man submitted may work, but it's a little confusing, and the selection order may be reversed from what you want. Here's an alternative that'll be easier to follow...

[​IMG]

As you probably know, when you have the pickups in series the output volume will be higher versus parallel.

Let me know how everything works out. I'd like to do the same thing with one of my basses, but I need to get a hold of one of these rotary switches first.

Cheers!
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

This is what I've done to nearly all my SX jazz clone basses. I LOVE it. The way I choose between the diagrams (direction of switch settings) is I figured that if I put a "pointy" knob on the rotary selector I'd want the knob to point toward the neck pickup for "neck" only and toward the bridge pickup for "bridge only" with the two "both" in between. So I use a black "teardrop" knob on the rotary switch to distinquish it from normal pot knobs.

8005 Davies Molding Knobs & Dials

(not sure of which size it was but they look like this)

So that's what I did and it eliminates a lot of confusion when playing.
  6. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    So in the second diagram, the knob would be turned towards the neck to select neck pickup and turned towards the bridge for that pickup? Am i understanding correctly?
  7. 4848277

Disclosures:
    You'll know by looking at it when the switch is oriented to it's final mounting position and which pickup wires are attached to a particular terminal.

I found this diagram at telecaster.com...

[​IMG]

Apparently it works properly, so I'm assuming the selector orientation will be the same as you (and most people) would desire. (ie: when you select the neck pickup, the selector is pointing toward the neck) The only difference is positions 2 and 3 are reversed from what you first specified. I can modify this drawing so it works the way you want though. :D

More later...
  8. 4848277

Disclosures:
    Here's the modified diagram with the selection order as you originally stated.

[​IMG]

By the way, I edited my original (first) reply to this thread. The schematic shown there conforms to this wiring diagram.

Cheers!
  9. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Thanks! Just what i needed! :)
  10. 4848277

Disclosures:
    You're welcome Pat. Let us know how it all works out for you.

I still haven't gotten a hold of a 4-way switch yet, but I was able to get a 5-way switch that I'm pretty sure I can modify. I'll get around to it eventually. I have an ESP Ltd D4 bass that I think would benefit from the added punch of having the pickups in series. The rotary switch would be taking the place of the pickup balancer, and I think I'll just re-use the original knob to retain it's looks.

Cheers!
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

a P/J in series is three coils in series, which can make for a lot of treble loss.

there might be a way to rig it up to put the P pickup itself in parallel, but in series with the J. that might be a more clear and balanced tone.