1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

wiring for Jbass vol-bal-BTC: need suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deste, Dec 18, 2013.

1. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Hi everybody.
    Although I'm a seasoned grey-haired player, I'm quite new to electronics (I always gave this chore to some technician). Having my trusted technician moved out, I'm trying to do myself.
    I just bought a set of Fender Super55 I want to put on my MIM J, that's wired this way: Master Volume - Balance - EMG BTC Tone Circuit. Trouble is that these are split coil pups, and I'm not sure about the correct wiring having to replace the original Quarter Pounders (put on by the previous owner - by the way I don't like them at all, and are too noisy too). So, before I try with a willing friend, I'd like to know if somebody has the right wiring scheme, or if I can find it in some hidden corner of the internet where I didn't search yet.
    Thanks in advance, and season's greetings.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

ooh, a wanna report of how they sound!

your question has nothing to do with whether they're split-coil or not; they'll still have one hot and one ground wire, and will be hooked up the same way.

pickups will go into the blend pot, output of blend pot will go into volume, output of volume will go into BTC (white wire), and output of BTC (green wire) will go to the jack.

3. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Thanks WalterW!
    Well, they have three wires each: black/green/white on the neck, and black/green/yellow on the bridge. The included diagram is for a classic J wiring, so I was looking for an appropriate diagram for my wiring (which, by the way, I find the best for my needs).
    Anyway, next days I'll be on the road (with my double bass), monday morning I'll put them on the bass and ASAP you'll receive news about them.
    I chose the s55 because, in the noiseless/splitcoils area, because of their good reviews and beacuase of the good price/easy availability (I'm in Italy, but usually I buy from a very huge german online shop). I've been very happy with DiMarzio Model J (I have them on a Squier CV J), and I also tested the Ultra J, which are very good but not the kind of sound I was looking for.

Let's keep in touch.