1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wiring help for a newbie: blend + tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by open_space, Dec 11, 2013.

1. open_space

open_space

Hi!

I have a Jaguar bass and since it's essentially a 2-knob bass, I want to wire it as follows: a blend/pan pot + tone pot. I hardly ever use the volume pot, so I don't need the master volume control, for muting I just use my tuner.

Can anyone help with a correct wiring diagram? You can easily find a diagram with blend+volume+tone, but no diagrams with just blend+ tone.

Please help!
  2. Jaco D

Jaco D

Was just thinking. Can't you treat the two variable resistors in a blend pot as two volume controls running in reverse to each other? In effect, what you are looking at is a VVT diagram, which is pretty common. i could be wrong though, but there's no loss in trying.
  3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jazz_bass_blend

Use this one. Just remove the Volume pot. Notice 2 wires to volume pot. One goes to the balance blend pot and one to the tone pot and on to the output Jack. Just put the wire from the tone pot/output Jack to the Balance Blend pot where the short wire that comes from the outer terminal of the volume pot and hooked to the outer (top in photo) terminal of the balance pot

Any prog
  4. open_space

open_space

Thanks! But I once read on this forum that this diagram is not the best one for blend pots, because you are not supposed to ground them. And also all blend pots are different and you are supposed to measure the resistance or something like that. Is this true?

I have a Bourns balance pot by the way...
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i've been espousing the ungrounded blend pot thing for a while now, but with no volume pot you might be better off running the blend pot normally.

just run the output wire from the blend to the tone pot lug, and from there to the jack (indeed like a regular V/V/T jass bass).
  6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

Absolutely
  7. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

My Jag is wired Vol/Tone + Blend. Trying to remember how I did it? I think I used two separate diagrams. Wire the stacked pot just like a stock two pot setup, volume is top, tone is bottom. And standard blend wiring.
    From pickups through blend pot. Then from preamp to stacked pot, bottom potter volume, then to top pot per normal tone pot wiring, to jack.

(Small top knob is vol, bottom knob/ring is tone)
    [​IMG]

http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/jazz_bass_blend.pdf