Wiring Help for EMG PJX

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SwagAttack, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I am trying to install the EMG PJX pickups in a bass of mine. The way I wired it was similar to the JX style with volume/volume/active tone. The neck pickup went into the 1st volume, and from there, a wire from the first volume went into the second volume along with the bridge pickup. Then a wire went from the second volume into the tone, along with the output jack and a red wire for the voltage. When I plug it in, I get extremely low output (like have to my amp on full to hear barely anything at all) and, from what I can hear, it is distorted. I am not experienced with active wiring, but the only thing I had to solder was to the output jack. There is not wire going to the bridge for grounding, if that matters.

2. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

To get it out of the way, did you check the battery, use a fresh one? Is the HOT wire soldered to the TIP of the jack (GND to the GND)?

I've found that its important to wire them how it shows in the diagram because when you plug in a wire on the pot, the pins on the pots don't all function as an input/output, and its important to plug them in in the correct way. So check to make sure it looks like the diagram (while doing this you may see that a wire COULD have been plugged in backwards which I have done and will yield a low volume/distorted issue). Last thing I can think of is i know the X-series EMGs tone controls are active and a standard EMG passive tone pot won't work with them.

3. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Ya I replugged everything. I am using one of those longer output jacks, but I soldered it exactly how it says in the schematic. I got it to actually have decent volume output, but I have a different problem now. None of the knobs work as intended. I can have all knobs down, and it will sound exactly the same as all of them in the opposite direction. There is still a lot of buzz as well.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

then check again, because it still isn't exactly like the diagram, or it would work normally.

if you're getting loud signal then the pickups are working and connected right, so that's good.

look for those jumper cables to be clipped into the pots backwards or flipped over.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can always call EMG customer service if you get in a jam.

7. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

I'm still fooling with my PJxs, but the first issue I ran into is that ONE connection must have the connector upside down (see the red instructions - they now circle this).

My next task will be to install a pre amp as teh controls sent with it were inadequate and I'm not getting as much signal as my other active bass, and since JimmyM likes his, that must be the problem.

8. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Ya I noticed the reversal of the connection. But the knobs still don't do anything, even when turned down all the way. I am going to have to call them, the wiring is correct. Not sure what is wrong.