Wiring Help for New EMG Solderless Connection; Push-Pull Pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbrooks, Feb 17, 2013.

1. jbrooks

jbrooks

I need some help. I've emailed EMG over a week ago without a response. This is disappointing since I have had prompt service concerning issues in the past.

I am using three EMG TW pick ups in a project bass. I would like to wire them in a VOL/VOL/VOL/TONE configuration.

These are the dual mode pick ups. To switch between modes you use a push pull pot supplied with the pick up.

I've used these in the past with the traditional solder connections, wired in VOL/VOL/TONE. The pot are wired just like other volume pots in series with each other in a typical Jazz bass set up.

Here is what the old pots look like.

http://www.hotroxuk.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/450x450/518a337f71d8af45c99bc01d0812e43a/p/u/push_pull_pot_500k.jpg

The new pick ups come with the new solderless connections. I am reusing the two previous pick ups so I bought two new solderless push pull pots to go with the new on and the BQC control.

Here is where it gets interesting. Instead of solder lugs like the old pots the new one has jumpers and pins.

http://totalmusicsource.com/images/images_extra/EMG-25K CONTROL PPP-2.jpg

The output from the pot is from the H1 position. If I am to wire these in series then the output from one pot would have to enter the next one. I've try to make sense of these with a voltmeter to see which lugs are connected.

All the diagrams on the site use a switch.

The only other way I can think of wiring this is to splice the output cables together to the tone control.

Has anyone else had experience with this system?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unless someone helps you with this on here, this is an issue I'd call EMG about and not bother with email. Sounds like it'd be easier to talk through than type through. But EMG has great CS usually...very possible you got eaten by a spam filter or something.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes. I think the solder-less system was not well thought out, and many people find it confusing.

But if you take your time with it, it all works out in the end.

4. jbrooks

jbrooks

I'll call tomorrow.

The VOL/VOL/TONE is a (the?) most popular set up for a bass. The new system should show this set up. The old one did.

Thanks everyone.

5. Register to disable this ad