1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Wiring help needed: Adding Active/Passive switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by awilkie84, Jan 1, 2014.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84

I have a Jackson CB-XV that I want to add 2 switches to, both to add colour options to my sound and to finish the sweeping look of the control layout for when I add a custom pickguard.

I want to do a series/parallel switch & an active/passive switch.

The current setup on the bass is 2 EMG 40HZ passive pickups wired with a Vol, Blend & then into a 3-band 9V EQ.

Can anyone draw me a picture, similar to the Seymour Duncan diagrams, of how I should wire this?

Also, what value switch should I use for each?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :)

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

I think Bartolini's site has some great diagrams for that.

3. line6man

line6man

I'll draw a diagram within the next few days.

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Really? That would be awesome. :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

Start with this diagram, and omit the tone pot and capacitor.
    [​IMG]
    Then, instead of wiring the "output jack tip terminal" connection to the output jack, wire it to the "output from volume controls" terminal in this diagram. Then wire the other terminals as shown.
    [​IMG]

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Thanks for the help. 1 last question. The switches I need to do this are 2-way DPDT On/On switches, correct?

8. line6man

line6man

Correct.

9. RobbieK

RobbieK

Actually, I think you'll need a 4PDT for the series/parallel (two pickups), and a DPDT for the true bypass.

Also, you can get 50KB push-pull pots. I haven't seen the jackson preamp, but these things usually use 50KB pots for B/M/T. You could change two for individual series/parallel switches, and put the active/passive true bypass at the volume as a push-pull 250KA. You'd lose the centre notches on two active tone controls, but you wouldn't have to drill any extra holes...

10. line6man

line6man

Depends on what sort of series/parallel switching the OP wants. Master series/parallel switching is done with two poles. In this case, the inclusion of a blend pot requires an unusual wiring, to shunt the inputs together in series mode. Individual series/parallel switches for humbucker coils require two poles per pickup, so indeed four poles would be needed to switch both at the same time.

11. awilkie84

awilkie84

So, if I do a master series/parallel, I can use the diagrams as listed above, correct?

12. line6man

line6man

Correct.

Also, I changed the above image. Redownload, if you've saved it.