Wiring Help Needed - Delano + Glock

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stevetx19, Jan 6, 2014.

1. stevetx19

stevetx19 Supporting Member

Hello!

So, i've built a bass - here's the thread if anyone is interested:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/simple-5-string-bolt-1041636/

It's time to wire it up, and i realize I should stick with woodwork, as I really have a hard time with the electronics. I thought I would make it easy on myself with a prewired harness, but I still can't feel confident with what goes where, and the wiring diagrams seem to confuse me more than they help. I would love some help figuring this out!

Here's the setup:
    Delano SBC HE soapbar set + Glockenklang 2 band, 4 knob pre

Delanos: http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/Delano-Installation-Guide.pdf

Glock: http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/glock-preamp.pdf

I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the 2 band, but mine should be the same as that one, minus the mid pot.

Things that need to happen:

Connect the pickups
    Connect the output switch
    Connect the battery terminal
    Misc grounds

That's it, seems everything else is wired. Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, couple of questions:

1. My output switch, which ring is which? It's not totally clear from the diagram which way is up/down/sideways, and the hot/ground need to be on the outside. Also, I've seen other wiring diagrams where the battery lead goes to an outside plug, so which is it? This is a switchcraft stereo jack.

2. On the bass control, i'm seeing a wire that looks to be the red battery wire. Near it is supposed to be a ground connction, but i don't see a wire and there are tons of little nodes that could take a ground wire - where do I go?

3. Neither of the wiring diagrams seem clear about where the wires from the pickups go. I don't care about switches or coil tapping or any of that jazz, I just want my pickups wired into this pre as simply as possible. Does that mean I won't need all of the 5 wires that come with the pickup leads?

Thanks in advance for your help, I really just want to play! I guess this is why EMG made quick connects... :atoz:
  2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

I can answer #3, but you need to decide whether you want to put the pickup coils into parallel or series. You don't need to use switches, but you do need to connect the coils together correctly for the mode you want.

If parallel, solder the white and green wires together, and connect this to the "In1" or "In2" connection on the balance board. (Use one input for each pickup.) Next, solder the brown and yellow wires together (along with the bare/shield wire, if present) and connect to the "Shield (GND)" connection on the balance board.

If series, connect the green wire directly to the "In1" or "In2" connection on the balance board. (Again, use one input for each pickup.) Next, for each pickup, solder the white and yellow wires together, and cover this solder joint in heat-shrink, electrical tape, or another suitable material that prevents it from touching anything else. Finally, connect the brown wire (along with the bare/shield wire, if present) to the "Shield (GND)" connection on the balance board.

Regarding EMG, the quick connects are possible because most of their pickups don't have coil switching/tapping options. The "TW" pickups actually have three coils along with a larger quick-connect plug (7 pins instead of 3) which requires you to hard-wire into a fixed configuration, or use a proper toggle switch. :)
  3. stevetx19

awesome - that was fantastically helpful. I'll give some thought to series or parallel; this is my first bass outside of the standard jazz realm of electronics so i'm open to some experimentation.

Thanks!
  4. bgartist

bgartist

I can take a pic of the control cavity of one of my Pedullas if that will help. It has Bart dual coils and the Glock 3 band pre installed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stevetx19

so, i asked this in the middle of a move across country, so it will be a few more days until i get to wiring. After some research, I think i'm going to wire this parallel - the glock pre controls are Volume - Blend - Bass - Treble, with a active/passive push pull on the volume. I think parallel is going to give me the tone i'm looking for, clean and modern. Anyone see any issues with this configuration?

I'm mostly writing this to remind myself I want Parallel. :cool:

Would still love some help with q1 and q2 - I can make clearer pictures of the controls if needed.
  7. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Parallel should be fine. I'm running my Delano SBC pickups in parallel now. They sound great.