Wiring help needed! Double humbucker content

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by birminghambass, Feb 2, 2013.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Hey TB, I'm wiring up a converted HH Stingray and need a little help!
    I'm using a EB 2-band preamp. Before the pickups hit the pre I want to install a 3- way blade switch that selects: inner coils only, outer coils only, and all coils. I then want it to run to a blend pot, and finally into the stock EB preamp. So 3-way coil selector--> blend--> preamp. I understand there would be single coil hum when soloing a pickup in the first two modes, not an issue for me.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!:bassist:
  2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Question to the "all Coil" mode ...
    Shall all 4 coils be parallel (HB coils parallel) or
    shall the coils of one PU be wired serial and then blended parallel via blance pot?

The serial HB wiring would be easy ...
    The parallel HB wiring would be impossible (as far as I have thought over by now) because you would need a 3-way switch with 4 "layers". There are 5-way switches like this but no 3-way switches ...
  3. birminghambass

All coil mode would be 2 standard wired (parallel) MM pickups.
  4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Don't know if I get you right ...

The two MMs parallel (via balance/blend pot). Okay.

And each of the MMs "in itself"?
    Parallel too? Or wired serial "in itself" (like a P-PU or a PAF guitar pickup)?

There are different methods to wire an MM PU ...
    To wire them series "in themselfs" would be possible with 3-way lever plus balance pot.
    To wire them parallel "in themselfs" would no be possible ...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. abemo

abemo

Basically, you can do this as long as "all coils" means both pickups in series mode, aka, both coils are wired together like a split coil, with one set of leads from each pickup going to the blend pot. If by "all coils" you mean each coil going in parallel like a classic sting ray pup, you need a bigger switch.
  7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Have you checked out guitarelectronics.com? They have a boatload of wiring diagrams. They might not have precisely the one you need, but there's enough info there to puzzle out what you want.
  8. birminghambass

Ok, would "all coils" on and the blend full towards bridge pu give the classic Stingray tone (single bridge pickup wired parallel)?
  9. Cadfael

Cadfael

With a series wired MM you only need "one layer" per MM PU.
    Hot goes to the balance pot, Ground to gnd.
    The two middle coil wired would be soldered to the "master contact" of the 3-way lever switch.
    GND would be soldered to contact 1 (or 3), Hot of the PU to 3 (or 1), none contact 2.

If all 4 coils shall work parallel, you can't simply "tap the middle". You need every "hot line" to be told what to do - and this means "4 layers" (one for each hot wire). You have to regard one MM PU as a whole Telecaster guitar (with two SCs) and there it is not possible to use only one of the two layers.

It is no problem to get a 5-way "super switch" with 4 layers (like the Fender or Eyb switch). But 3-way switches with "4 layers" are only available as rotary switch and not as lever switch (as far as I know).

That's the problem ...
  10. abemo

abemo

Fairly close, but more like a sterling.
  11. birminghambass

Thanks guys. Back to the drawing board i guess...