Wiring Help! Volume blend pot!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ThunderBass_14, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ThunderBass_14

ThunderBass_14

I want to have a way of switching between the pickups on my thunderbird without using a switch. I currently have Neck Volume/ Bridge Volume and Master tone pots installed and want to add a Pickup blend pot. Is there a wiring diagram for that around anywhere? If not, does anyone know how I'd wire it that way? Thanks :p

2. line6man

line6man

Thunderbirds have 3 way pickup selector switches, don't they?
    You can't do that with a single pole switch, if you want every setting to be functional.

3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Neck Vol/Bridge Vol/Tone is how Fender Standard Jazz basses are wired. Aka VVT.

Changing to Master Volume/Blend/Tone is a common thing and if you search around here, you should find plenty of threads on the subject.

If, as line6man said, your bass has a pickup selector switch, I assume you intend to disconnect that and maybe even remove it, but I guess it's not really necessary to do so. You could have a Blend pot and still have the switch functional to select which pickup(s) are on.

4. ThunderBass_14

ThunderBass_14

I don't have a three way switch. I would like to Have VVT and Blend if possible, so I can Have a blend between pickups without having to keep using the seperate volumes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

I've never heard of anyone wanting dual volumes and a blend. It's redundant, and a recipe for excessive knob-twiddling. Care to shed some light on why you wanted to wire the bass that way?

IMO, the most functional way to do it would be to pick either dual volumes or a blend pot, and have a series/parallel switch that just leaves you with a master volume in series mode.

7. thrasher666

thrasher666

I bought a set of EMG select p'ups and the directions come with a diagram for wiring up a blend pot. I can scan it in & email it to you...

8. ThunderBass_14

ThunderBass_14

Yeah, please. That'd be great!

9. ThunderBass_14

ThunderBass_14

So would you suggest MBT? Have you a diagram for this set up? How would I wire the switch in?

10. line6man

line6man

There is a diagram for that somewhere on this board, but I can draw one up if you want it.

The series/parallel switch is wired in an unusual way, as the inputs of the blend pot shunt together for series wiring, so that the blend pot does not attenuate anything when adjusted.