Wiring help!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Precision345, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

Hi,

I recently put back together my Peavey Zodiac that I have been 'working on'. I am trying to rewire some new 500k pots in to replace the old 250k's and I can't seem to get anything to work. I wired it based on the diagram I have that Seymour Duncan has supplied for precision/jazz pickup configuration and I can't get a sound out of it. Super frustrating! I have wired it three times now, thinking that maybe something wasn't fully connected? I also thought the new pots weren't functioning so I tried the old ones and still nothing! I am a super newb to soldering and wiring stuff so any help would be much appreciated!

Here are some pictures, sorry, they're terrible camera phone pictures

Attached Files:

2. Precision345

Here is another photo if it helps at all

Attached Files:

3. Precision345

I think that I wired it correctly but my shiitty soldering has created some cold joints?

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

The hot white wire goes to the middle tab of the pot and should NOT touch the outer tab. The red goes from one pot to the next jumping the signal to go to the tone pot.

Your pics are small but it looks like you have the white hot wire from pickups touching the outer tab where the red wire is on both volume pots. Is that right?

If the two hots in and out are touching on the pot it will never work not sure but that's what looks like is happening..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

The volume pots would work just fine, if that were the case. But the taper would be off, and both would act as master volumes.

Personally, I would redo all of that and solder neatly with the appropriate length wires. Also, for future reference, avoid soldering pot terminals to the casing. It can be very hard to get them desoldered to disassemble later on, if needed.

I don't see an output jack. Did you wire the output to the tip terminal? Perhaps you've mixed up the tip and sleeve?

7. Precision345

Okay, so I removed all the wiring so I can resolder everything properly. For the record, I didn't solder the terminals to the pots, those are the stock pots that came on this bass. I was thinking I may have wired the output jack properly but I think I had it right, I wired it the same as the old one was in there.

8. Precision345

The white wires were both soldered on the centre terminal.

9. line6man

line6man

Do you have an Ohm meter? If so, check the resistance at the jack, with all of the pots turned all the way up. It should be somewhere in the neighborhood of half the DC resistance of either pickup. (~3k-5k range.)

10. Precision345

I have a multi meter but I don't know how to use it. I'm super newb to all of this stuff