1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CH Design, Feb 12, 2014.

1. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

2. line6man

line6man

It cannot be done with a single pole switch. You need a DP3T switch, which takes the form of a 4PDT On/On/On, but is externally jumpered to a DP3T pattern.

Perhaps more worthwhile would be a separate killswitch.
  3. mrmills

mrmills

What pickups (and how many) do you have?
  4. line6man

line6man

Pickups have nothing to do with active/passive switching.
  5. CH Design

I thought it was a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch. Does that change anything?
    FWIW, I have room for one switch on bass I am building. I don't really need either a mute or active/passive, but since I have the hole drilled for a switch, I want to use it for something. The only switch I have right now is a 3-way (On/On/On). If I can't get all three functions in one switch, I'll just get a 2-way switch for mute or active/passive.

Two Big Singles.
  6. line6man

line6man

It is a SP3T switch that takes the form of a DPDT switch with a "split" middle position that switches one common to a NO throw, and the other common to a NC throw. These kind of switches are usually externally jumpered to SP3T switching patterns, but can be used in specialized applications as DPDT switches for series/single coil/parallel and such.

The problem is that you need three throws on one of the poles, in order to do active, passive, and mute. You only have two throws on this type of switch, so it is not possible. What you would need is a DP3T mini toggle, which will take the form of a 4PDT switch, with two external jumpers wired in, to create the DP3T switching pattern.
  7. CH Design

Thanks line6man. It sounds like a new switch is in order.
  8. mrmills

mrmills

The number of pickups do if you want to use a SPDT/DPDT switch. I just had an idea.
  9. line6man

line6man

Nope. It bears no relation to active/passive switching. Active/passive switching takes the single output from volume pots, blends, pickup selectors, etc., after the pickups are summed together in whatever manner is chosen for the bass.

The exception is when you do active/passive switching for multiple-input preamps. This is a rarity, and typically involves making choices on the nature of pickup selection for passive mode. (Both pickups parallel, additional passive volume controls, etc.)
  10. mrmills

mrmills

As I said I had an idea, I don't want to argue with you.
  11. line6man

line6man

I'm not arguing. :meh: