Wiring onboard preamp with no volume control?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 15, 2014.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I'm thinking about installing a Bart NTMB preamp in my bass and want to skip the volume. I have four holes and want bass, mids, treble, and blend. I never touch my volume control anyway, so why have one?

I'd be using an NTMB that comes without pots and using my own pots. How can I wire it without the volume? What do I do with the wires that are supposed to go to the volume control?

2. ex-tension

ex-tension

The green wire connected to the volume pot is the preamp output. Connect that wire directly to the output jack.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

You might also consider using one push/pull as a mute switch.

4. robd

robd Supporting Member

My barts use a stacked knob for treble/bass controls. So volume, bass/treble, blend and mids only take up 4 holes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

You can get this from Aguilar for $20 so you can stack Bass/Treble.

[​IMG]

7. fourstringbliss

I'm okay without the volume. I have knobs I'm using that I really like and a stacked knob set would look out of place. The top on my bass is pretty thick as well, so I need to use long thread pots. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

8. Technicality

Technicality

If you want the circuit to behave exactly as if there was a volume control there at full volume, get a resistor that is the same value as the potentiometer would be (for example if the potentiometer is a 25k, get a 25k resistor). Figure out which of the three wires that would connect to the pot joins up to ground, and connect that to one end of the resistor. Then connect both the other two wires to the other end. Any resistor will do, including the low wattage very cheap ones.

If you are less bothered about how slight changes in the design might affect the sound, you can just connect the two non ground wires together though yes.

9. fourstringbliss

That's aa great idea! I hadn't thought about the resistance of the pot even when full up. Would it make it brighter to leave the resistor out?

10. fourstringbliss

Here's a pic of the volume part of the wiring diagram:

[​IMG]

You can see that there is one preamp wire going to the volume pot, and then the pot lugs either connect to the jack or to ground. How would I wire in the resistor in this case? We're only talking about a 25k resistor as well - is it worth the trouble?

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Just 25k is
    25,000 ohms,
    as opposed to 50,000 ohms
    or 500,000 ohms.

12. fourstringbliss

Yup.

13. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Run the green wire directly to the output jack as someone said. Then connect the resistor between the lug on the jack where you connected the green wire and the ground lug on the jack. It may be a good idea to have a DC ground path on the output of the preamp so it is probably worth the effort. We would have to see the preamp schematic in order to say if it is necessary.

14. fourstringbliss

Here's the whole schematic:

[​IMG]

What do you think? Do I need to do the resistor? I'm not opposed to doing it - it's just a few more solder joints.

15. ex-tension

ex-tension