Wiring question: Jazz Bass V/B/T + Series/Parallel

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by davekent, Nov 5, 2012.

1. davekent

davekent

Hi all,
    Sorry for asking this.. (probably been asked Nth times)

I want to convert my V/V/T jazz bass into a V/B/T but with Series/Parallel.

So:
    Volume
    Blend
    Tone
    Jack

Questions..
    Does anyone have a diagram for this?
    What pots: 500K or 250k? Log or linear?
    What cap?
    Would I need a 3PDT switch to bypass the blend pot/switch to series or should I use a push/pull pot and a switch?
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I haven't seen a V/B/T wiring with series/parallel, but it shouldn't be too different from a V/V/T with the same switch.
    I can draw one up later for you. It can be done using one blend pot, one push/pull pot and one regular pot, no extra switches required.
    You'll have to remember to keep the blend centered in series mode, for maximum output, though. I can also make the blend work in series mode, but that'll be fairly complex and I wouldn't recommend it.

Since you'll have a lot of resistance in parallel at all times, I'd suggest going for 500k-s all the way:
    • M/N 500k (blend taper) for the blend
    • B500K (linear) for the volume
    • A500K (logarithmic) for the tone.

The cap is up to you, but anything between 22 and 47 nF is the norm, some even like the tone of a 100 nF (0.1 μF) cap. The larger the cap, the lower the roll-off frequency and the thuddier the sound.
  3. davekent

davekent

Hi Stealth, thanks for your reply.
    A wiring diagram would be awesome.
    Can you lay it out as V - B - T (p/p)?
    What would you suggest for the cap? Orange .47 or something different?
  4. Stealth

[​IMG]

As for the cap, any ceramic capacitor will do. An orange cap is a waste of cash. A .047 μF (47 nF) is a medium value that'll probably work well.

I've also found a J-bass V-B-T-sw wiring that will require drilling for a switch (a 3PDT), but lets you blend in series as well.

Edit: and I found my old independent-volumes-in-series wiring that could be reworked into a blend without the need for a switch. Might not be done today.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davekent

davekent

If I want to avoid soldering anything to the pot casings, would I have to copper shield the cavities and ground to a common point? Or will the wiring negate this anyway? Sorry for all the questions!
  7. line6man

line6man

[​IMG]

Swap the first and second terminals of the volume pot.
  8. Stealth

Yeah, you can copper-shield the cavities and use them as common ground - just remember to ground the output jack's sleeve as well.

line6man, do you think this wiring would work provided you swap the outer contacts on one of the volumes (treating it as half a blend) and add a regular, coupled volume pot?
  9. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    Great Diagrams!
  10. davekent

davekent

Just to clarify.. The block below the blend pot, is that the switch element of the push/pull pot?
  11. Stealth

Yes it is. That can be on any pot, so if you want to make your tone pot the one with the push/pull, you can.
  12. Jbutts88

Jbutts88

So when you say swap one and two, which ones do you mean? I put a green on which ones to switch. Is the top or bottom picture correct? Also just curious why you need to switch the two? Thanks

wegeth.jpg

3515446023_5116d5684f_o.jpg
  13. line6man

line6man

Second image.

Volume pots tend to sound more consistent throughout their range of control when the wiper terminal varies output impedance, as opposed to providing a variable impedance load on the pickup coils.
  14. Jbutts88

Jbutts88

Alright I've got my J Bass all wired up and added copper foil to the project. The good news is it is dead quiet now as far as hum goes. The bad news is something is off with the wiring.

One pull of the switch as a super bassy sound. The other pull of the switch is much less bassy, almost sounds wimpy. I guess the more bassy is series?

Anyways.. when the switch is on the bassy sound it works perfect, the blend is bypassed and the volume/tone works.

When the switch is in the wimpier sound the v/t work but the blend cuts off the entire volume when rolled off.

Here's how I wired it basically looking at the plate unscrewed and flipped upside down. I had to arrange them this way to fit. They are model J pickups with the black and white of each pickup soldered and taped off.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks a ton

Attached Files:

• jb.jpg
      jb.jpg
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
  15. Jbutts88

Jbutts88

16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Sub'd so I can find this again. About to do this mod to my J.
  17. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

ditto
  18. Cadfael

Cadfael

I have three different "V/B/T series parallel" JB wirings in my compilation (2.1.22-24) ...
    http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t2...chaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html

2.1.22) P/P: Balance has influence in serial
    2.1.23) 3x2 switch: Balance has no influence in serial
    2.1.24) S-1 switch: Balance has no influence in serial

It is very hard / impossible to find a Fender JB-know S-1 nowadays. For people who want to install Strat knows or Tele Dome Speed knobs, it is easyer to find the right S-1 switch (knobs).
  19. Jbutts88

Jbutts88

Incredible. Thanks a lot man, just wish it was in English. It looks like 2.1.23 is what I need. Thanks again
  20. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right. Supporting Member

I want to do this mod on a Squier VM J - I just have a question about the pots: I always thought volume pots were audio (logarithmic) taper and tone pots were linear taper. Stealth has suggested audio taper for the tone and linear for volume. What difference does this make when playing?

BTW - Thanks to Stealth for the excellent diagrams and info. Newark is a good source for Bourns pots ($8 shipping to Canada :)).
  21. Cadfael

Cadfael

95% of all tone pots are audio pots ...
    4% might be linear pots, built in in old European and Asian basses from the 1960s and early 1970s.

Some confusion comes by the fact that pot declaration (printings) may vary form country / continent to country / continent ...