1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

wiring two reverb tanks(problems)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bridgeo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Bridgeo

Bridgeo

i have wired up two reverb tanks in my amp with a selector switch so i can change from one to the other and i wired one of the lines to a 1/4 jack so i could run a footswitch to it and make them footswitchable but when i shut the reverb off on the switch it makes a loud hum, could this problem be repaired in some way?im wondering if its a grounding issue or perhaps it depends on which wire i use maybe? i used the outside wire from the rca plug from the amp to the jack and from the jack to the selector switch to break the line any advice would be great thanks
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

To "turn off" a reverb circuit the usual way is to ground (short) the output from the reverb tank. An open circuit is asking for hum.
    You are using reverb with bass guitar?
  3. Bridgeo

Bridgeo

this is on my guitar amp, is there any way to make it so that i can conect a plug of some sort that will adapt to a 1/4" so i can use a footswitch?without the hum of course...i just need a good way to turn it on/off without that hum preferably with a footswitch
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sure, typical Fender foot switch shorts the center to the ground. Short the tank output, no reverb. Switch open the shield on the cable (used RCA's on the amp for a long time) eliminates hum pickup.
  5. Bridgeo

Bridgeo

so all i need is a fender foot switch?i used a apex footswitch and it still humed but if its as simple as just using a fender switch that would be great.