1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Mar 28, 2012.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

... I'm taking the Jeopardy online test in an hour.

You feel like a pretty smart guy and then the questions start...
  2. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

good luck brah....
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Answer with a question?
  4. EBodious

EBodious

luck!

i think a lot of the challenge is being able to think when the cameras are rolling.

oh and i heard in an interview with the guy who is their winningest contestant that the real skill is knowing how to work the buzzer to your advantage.

i am sure with all the discussions here in TBOT, you should have plenty of amassed, arcane knowledge!
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Jeopardy had a casting call in my town about 5-6 years ago. I have an off the chart IQ (Mensa member) and an uncanny ability to retain most of what I see, hear or read. Their quiz brought me to my knees.

Truly. I felt like a neophyte.
  6. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Gold Supporting Member

How did you do? I took it in January - fifth year in a row.
  7. hrodbert696

Thanks, y'all!

As it happened, my wife got off work and called me from the road home when I was about 3/4 through. When I didn't answer my cell phone, she tried the house phone... when I didn't answer that (even with her voice ringing out over the answering machine) she tried my cell phone again. I finally threw the thing across the room, I think it landed on the bathroom floor somewhere.

There were some questions I would have missed anyway, so I'm not sure what the impact of all the ringing phones were. I think I got 85 or 90%, but not certain. Now to cross fingers and wait for Trebek to call...

or not.
  8. hrodbert696

UPDATE!

I got an audition, in Boston, yesterday. Had to cancel classes to attend, but I think it was worth it. I was dreading that it would just be humiliating, but actually it turned out to be a lot of fun.

We went in batches of about 25 people (they were apparently doing this Thursday through Saturday) in 3-hour blocks. Line up in the hallway to fill out paperwork and have your polaroid taken. Then we all go into a hotel conference room, and get more information about being on the show. After that, a second quiz, answering on paper this time, 50 clues, not really any harder than the online quiz. Then we took a break. After that, they put us in groups of three with buzzers and all to play through a mock game. No real scoring, no daily doubles or anything - it's really an audition process to see if we look like we're having fun, if we move quickly and keep the game moving, if we speak up rather than mumbling. At the end of the mock game, a little interview, asking us about our jobs, hobbies, what we do for fun, what we would do if we won a big pile of money (go GAS-crazy, of course...), that kind of thing.

I have a good feeling about it. It's long odds - apparently 100,000 take the online test, 2000-3000 score well enough to get to the audition phase, but only 400-500 actually get a slot on the show. So I figure I've got about 20% odds of getting on at this stage. But hopefully talking about playing bass and wearing chainmail made me stand out a little more than all the people who talked about their cats and how they like reading books and how they'd use the money to pay off loans and travel. There's an 18-month window within which they might call, so it may be a long time before I know...

Suddenly the almanac seems like a much more interesting read...

Thanks for all the good thoughts out there! I'll keep you posted if I ever actually get on!
  9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Isn't coming here first before taking a test like that basically the same as drinking a fifth before a driving test?
  10. hrodbert696

Maybe.... worked for me!
  11. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Suck it, Trebek!
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

They called me once, but I was busy.

-Mike
  13. Godfather

Godfather

I hope you haven't sustained too much damage to your shoulders while patting yourself on the back....