1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Wolf Basses-Any experience? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NYCbassist, Mar 7, 2014.

1. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

2. NYCbassist

I know these are few and far between but does anyone have some input? Thanks.

3. NYCbassist

4. joe vegas

joe vegas

i converted this 7 string Wolf with the aid of 2 top NYC guys into a very wide 6,
    19.98mm with Hipshot's widest 6 string bridge.

we refretted with better steel, put on a brass nut and countersunk the bridge. it's fantastic now.

i got it on ebay 3 years ago, $450. amazing quality for the price, sounds great and is stable throughout.
    Wolfs have really jumped up in price- i've seen these same ebay "NAMM show basses" nearly double since that time. i think the importer realized he was selling 'em too cheaply.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

That looks just like the same build as the ravenwestguitars site. I bought one and it was exactly the same as that. Very good quality but the electronics need upgraded. Check out www.ravenwestguitars.com and see if you don't see that same bass.

7. NYCbassist

Thanks, I have had a hard time finding anything out about this bass. I think the KHL Co. has something to do with them. It was supposed to have been purchased at the 2014 Namm Show.

gebass6 likes this.
  8. NYCbassist

I found out some more info on these. The Wolf basses are made for the Namm shows. Supposedly mine was made as 1 of 50 for the 2014 Show. More or less a Custom shop Model specifically for the show. It may end up being pretty sweet.

9. NYCbassist

That sounds sweet, The one I have coming has a Hipshot Bridge and Wilkinson tuners. P'ups and electronics are "Wolf" whatever that means. What got me was the advertised weight of 8.5 Lbs. I hope that's correct.

10. kalle74

kalle74

Check out this:

http://wolf3.en.ec21.com/2012_New_Guitar_Vol.2--4684161_6827958.html

Some of Wolf's production models. We've had some "group-buy" thingies here in Finland from KHL Corporation. Nice guitars and basses for their price, but nothing very special. I bought a WTHB-6W secondhand (150 euro, about $200) some time back, but ATM it's undergoing some mods.

11. NYCbassist

I am hoping for sufficient electronics but If the Bass is worth upgrading, I can put some better stuff into it.

12. joe vegas

joe vegas

Yeah, the pups aren't terrible- they have nice focused lows.. the highs can be clanky, but a new pre will likely bring out good stuff.
    your 5er looks quite cool. Wolfs are great for the price.

13. NYCbassist

Thanks, I'm glad to hear mostly good things.:)

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I see them every year at NAMM. Not sure if the exhibitor is just buying basses to sell, or trying to get some retail customers. The price seems good.

They are always great looking, though.

15. NYCbassist

Yes sir, they look pretty nice. They remind me of the Washburn Taurus basses(T35) that I used to see now and then. I will try to give a good review once I get it.

16. NYCbassist

Quick bump for this thread. It's out for delivery today. I:hyper: should have it in my grubby little hands soon.:bassist:

17. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Nice bass! It bears a striking resemblance to my Carvin Icon.

18. NYCbassist

Thanks man, It arrived today and it's pretty sweet. It's very nicely built and plays very well for a Bass in this price range.

19. Immigrant

Immigrant

That looks like a pretty nice bass, if not a decent skeleton to mod. If you are unhappy with the electronics, I suggest looking at Audere preamps. You won't be disappointed.

20. NYCbassist

Thanks Immigrant, I like the electronics for the most part. The bridge ended up being a cheaper knockoff not a genuine Hipshot. That's not Wolfs fault. The seller just misrepresented it in the Ebay listing. All in all it's a fantastic bass. The neck is pretty chunky which I like. I am able to move very fast on this bass and the D'addario's seem to have perfect tension. The fret work is top notch. The fretboard is amazingly smooth along the edges. The sound is big and fat but can be rolled back easily for Growly treble tones. I love the Wilkinson tuners. They have a high quality feel to them. The electronics are whisper quiet. These Wolf basses are fantastic for the price but I negotiated mine down quite a bit. Definitely don't pay full asking price on Ebay for one.

21. NYCbassist