Woman repeatedly drives on sidewalk to avoid schoolbus

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by colcifer, Nov 6, 2012.

1. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I saw this on TV a few weeks ago.

-Mike
  3. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

unbelievable:rollno:
  4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Thats a ridiculous punishement. Wear a sign that says "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid the school bus." for an hour per day for two days in a row? The suspended license makes sense (but only for 30 days?), as well as a fine (should be more than $250, IMO) but the sign part is just kind of silly.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Punishment seems a bit lax to me.
  7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Think of it this way: Everyone in her city and a LOT of people all over the country now know her by crime, name, and face (due to the articles). The public humiliation tactic is probably more effective than jail, even if it seems ridiculous by Draco-American standards.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler

Perhaps, but in this day & age of "me, me ME!", perhaps humiliating people and hurting their ego is the only way to get through to them.
  9. Bloodhammer

Jail doesn't seem to do anything. Last time I was on the wrong side of the bars, the other guys in there were yukking it up and seemed to be on vacation!
  10. MatticusMania

Perhaps, but I think thats a dangerous road to go down. It seems a bit too personal a form of humiliation.
    Have her pick up some trash on the side of the highway, thats pretty humiliating, as well as productive.
  11. Bloodhammer

Picking up highway trash is not humiliating. Most people assume you work for the DOT since you wear the same high-visibility orange vest as the street-and-drainage guys.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler

Not a bad idea.

As for how personal the humiliation is, considering her actions could've resulted in the death of a person (maybe even a kid), she got off easy, IMHO.
  13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Stupid shoulda been tattooed on her forehead and all driving privileges permanently revoked. Too stupid and dangerous to drive.
  14. bassteban

bassteban

15. MatticusMania

I mean, while I think humiliation can be a good deterrent, I dont think its a means that our Justice system should be using as a crime deterrent.
    I do agree she got off far too easy. She sould have had a steeper fine, a longer license suspension, and maybe even a few days jailtime.
  16. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

at least a few days jail time
  17. MatticusMania

I almost said those exact words, but then I wondered if a traffic offense was worthy of jailtime.
    Of course, this could surpass traffic violation and move into the realm of 'reckless driving' which I do believe can land someone jailtime.
  18. hover

hover

I love their Thieferoni.
  19. Bloodhammer

20. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Did you see how fast she passes through those apartment doors? Children have the habit of rushing out, most them have high energy and just rush out of an apartment building from time to time.

Mix that with an idiot that drives fast on the sidewalk and the punishment is no where near enough.

Nobody thinks there could be an idiot in the sidewalk going fast with their car when getting out of an apartment.

If I were the judge, I'd never let her drive again and would make her visit the neighbourhood door by door to distribute flyers saying "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid the school bus. I am that idiot." with a mugshot on them.:scowl:
  21. hover

hover

Well, she certainly doesn't look like she has any remorse for what she did...

Sneaky suspicion we'll be seeing this twit again.