Won a guitar on eBay - seller doesn't want to sell - the hilarity ensues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tildeslash, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

I won a guitar for $416.99.
    No reserve, just open bidding and I paid.

He emails me saying this:

"This bass sold for way less than I ever expected. Like I said in the description, I am in no rush to let go of the bass, and I cannot justify parting with it at this price. I was expecting at least $500 in the auction. I will, however, part with it for $460. If this interests you, let me know. If not, I think I will wait for the economy to pick up before I list this again."

So I replied back saying this:

"That is not how eBay works. It's an auction site.
    You need to mail this guitar to me as I have paid you.
    It could have gone higher but it went to the highest bidder.
    Please complete this transaction as you are legally obligated."

So then he sends me an eBay cancel transaction request.

His reason: "This case has been opened by the seller with the following reason: Buyer and I disagreed over terms."

My response: "We did not disagree over terms ever. I bid, I won and I paid. I expect the seller to send me the item asap."

So I spoke to ebay and the lady says she will file a report against him and that he should have refunded the money before sending me a cancellation request.

But eBay did say I will eventually get my money back but I will have to wait a few days. She said I have to wait 10 days before I file a claim on item not received.

I will call ebay again tomorrow to catch another person and demand that he be reported. Since I am always checking for Guild Pilot, if he ever sells this again I will contact ebay and tell them what happened now and see where that goes.

I really wanted this bass, Guild Pilot, the greatest under rated bass ever.

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Wow, sorry to hear about this! Guild Pilots are definitely pretty awesome. This guy has no right to jerk you around like this. I hope the seller realizes that he is in the wrong on this one and sends you your bass!

3. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I was watching this one too and almost bid on it. I have an '83ish Guild six string guitar, strat style and it is an amazing instrument. I've been looking to pick up a pilot to go with it. IMHO this guy is a jerk. You bought it and you should get it. He's really willing to ruin his reputation for $43?

4. johnson79

johnson79

If he wanted more money he should have set are reserve. What a doofus.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

This is purely my opinion, based on experience.

Here's how this should work:

EBay sends a note to the seller compelling him to complete the transaction. If he does not complete the transaction, his account will be terminated and he will be banned from EBay.​

Here's how this will work:

You will get your money back and the seller will be allowed to relist.​

EBay makes its money from sellers. Those are its customers. You are the customer to the seller. EBay will take care of its customers. Regardless of the fact that EBay makes you understand that your bid is a contract, they aren't there to force the contract on the seller.

It's unfortunate that this happened to you. Hope you find another Pilot soon.

7. slick_tu

slick_tu Supporting Member

You migtht be able to file a claim with PayPal (assuming that's how you paid) sooner than 10 days. Unfortunately, you'll only get your money back; they can't force him to send the bass.

If you used a credit card through PayPal, contact the card company now; they'll get your money back right away.

Good luck.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

I hope your able to get him banned from selling on ebay.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Since you won the auction you are able to leave feedback back sure you warn others

10. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Not necessarily. eBay usually sides with the buyer over a transaction dispute. I used to be an eBay powerseller, and still got screwed by a few buyers in transaction disputes. One guy left me negative feedback for something that I clearly mentioned in the auction as not working. When he got it, and saw it wasn't working, he left me negative feedback and told me he would remove it once I refunded him his money.
    Ebay still didn't help me out even with a paper trail from him basically holding my feedback for ransom.

11. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

This is no big deal. He doesn't actually get the money (critieria very, but inexperienced sellers will have to get good feedback or wait 21 days to get cash).

So they can pull it back after the item not received complaint. If he sends you half a brick instead you still have the correspondence in ebay's own message system to go back to.

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If he wanted/expected at least $500, why didn't he set a reserve price of $500? Moronic.

This is why I don't use Ebay any more.

13. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

This is exactly the case with Ebay/PayPal these days. As a seller you can't even leave negative feedback for a buyer any longer. And when a buyer registers a complaint to a seller they take the money back right away and hold it. Rather the buyer's complaint is legit or not. It's a win/win for them. Neither party can do anything with the money at that point and PayPal gets to use your money for free.

14. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Just email him nicely to give your a refund and then you'll agree to cancel the transaction. He's not going to all of a sudden turn to a reasonable person. Just do what it takes to get your $$ back. Then leave him negative feedback if you like so others can be warned. Another one will come along from a normal person,

15. lolmont

lolmont

I saw this happen on a SG bass I was watching for fun seller put it back up at a higher price. Let's just say no one ever bought it.

16. Big Brother

Big Brother Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Full disclosure: Nobody will ever pay me to endorse anything
    This.

It feels like someone stole Christmas though, I know. It has happened to me too.

I once 'won' a vintage mink jacket for something like $30 that I was going to give to my girlfriend, then got a note from the seller saying she went on vacation for the weekend and just happened to leave the coat laying out for her cat to destroy. I replied and said that I completely understood, because when I was 8 my dog often ate my homework.

There is just nothing you can do except get the money back ASAP and try again.

17. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

PayPal and eBay aren't great, but it's what's available. It's unfortunate.

18. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Thats pretty funny

19. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

Thats definately a scumbag seller move.. Over the years, I have sold tons of Harley Davidson bike parts and apparal on E-Bay. One time I put up a brand new beautiful HD full face helmet up for auction, No reserve...
    I think it ended up going for 11 dollars or so..... :( Lets just say that the buyer was a pretty happy guy! Worst part is,.. I kind of screwed up with the shipping estimate and it ended up costing more than he payed. With that combined with the fees, I think I cleared about 6 bucks on that one :smug:

Its all about sellers honesty..... And I guess Im just a wonderful human being ;)

Thats a big let down though for you..... Another one will come around eventually!

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Another ebay idiot, surprise... :rollno:

21. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I too lost my Arse selling a Helmet. I might as well have kept it for the 13 dollars. But I went through with the sale.