1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Won a MJT body on eBay..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by denton57, Jan 15, 2014.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

And it looks amazing! I am shocked at how great it looks. I recently picked up a Fullerton RI maple P neck here on TB, and have been searching for a body. Started watching the MJT bodies on eBay and then they put an aged Vintage White PJ with tasteful yellowing and relicing up for auction. Don't care for the J pup, but I also didn't want to wait 8 weeks for the same color/relicing on a custom order.

I received it in 2 days, and it is stunning. I'll post pics later when I'm at home as I decide on a personally aged white pickguard or a black pickguard that is in the mail. I have some leftover roadworn parts for it (knobs, bridge), and have a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and 57 RI pots ready to go. J pup will be filled with a dummy pup.. It's gonna be strictly a P for now. Labella 760FM strings.

Anyone looking for a nitro finish, definitely check these guys website out. Highly impressed, and WAY better than my crappy attempts at refinishing. Also, much cheaper than Stratosphere 63 RI bodies!

Question is.. Black or cream pup covers, black or aged white 62RI pickguard :)
  2. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Awesome...let's see some pics.
    And remember, you didn't win it...you just agreed to pay the most for it.
  3. denton57

Ha! Yeah I guess you are right. But I paid significantly less and waited 7 less weeks for the body wood and color I wanted that I would have ordered anyway. I consider it a win :)

Pics will be added ASAP. Another bonus is that it doesn't smell like an ashtray or grandmas house, which has been an issue with real aged bodies I've used in projects before.
  4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

We need pics!!! But congrats in advance.

MJT did a relic finish on a build I completed a couple months back and loved the results so much I'm currently working on another. Great people to work with and everything was done on time as promised.
  5. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

How does the neck fit? I have been looking these bodies for my summer project.
  6. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

Congrats! I've got an MJT body, and it is awesome.
  7. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Is it light? Resonant? Always liked the work I see from them and have been considering a '51 P from their shop.
  8. denton57

It's 4.3 lbs according to the description in the auction, which feels accurate. I'm stuck at work, and it's sitting in my truck waiting for later tonight's assembly.
  9. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Nice. Good luck and post pics!
  10. denton57

Oh, and it's Alder too. Pretty light for Alder from my experience.
  11. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

Yes, I would like to know how the neck fits as well.

I bought a MJT '54 SCPB body here on TB, then I picked up a Fender '51 RI neck to go with, and sadly the neck pocket was too small.

The project was set to the side while I dealt with other things, but I plan to talk with MJT about it and see what the story is. Bodies that don't fit Fender necks? I don't understand.

The body itself is beautiful, so I want to make it work, but the neck pocket issue is a real hurdle for me.

Wishing good luck to the OP. I hope it works out.
  12. denton57

Hmm. I hope the neck thing isn't an issue. Like I said, I have an 83 Fullerton neck, which may be a slightly different width than today's average neck. We will see.
  13. Davo-London

Davo-London

They look amazing. I've just put in a bid for CAR PJ body!

Don't bid against me!

Davo
  14. denton57

Got to spend 5 min messing with it at home before I had to leave. Neck pocket is extremely tight. I had to lay the body down and force the neck in. It's so tight I could prob go without neck screws. Also, I'm not sure the neck screws line up either. However, I only got to mess with it for 5 min.
  15. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Sounds good to me, as long as the pocket is not bigger than the neck a little sanding will fix the issue
  16. denton57

So got the bass together.. Neck was an extremely tight fit as was the pickup covers.. However, I pieced it together enough to plug it in.

So far, it's very resonant and super light.. I bet sub 8lbs. I have newer Labella flats on that need broken in, but so far it's looking and playing good. Decided to go with the black pickguard and black covers when the pickguard arrives tomorrow.

Much different than my 62 J with rosewood neck, which was my goal.