1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Wondering if anyone could help me date this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dansumisu, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dansumisu

dansumisu

Hey!
    im looking at purchasing this hofner bass, although i can't seem to be able to figure out the date of it and i dont like the idea of buying a fakey!

so any help would be much appreciated.i think it looks like a 500/1 1968. but theres just a few things that make me doubt it e.g black switches on the controls.

thanks for the help :D

Attached Files:

2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

just ask it to dinner.

3. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

A bottle of wine and a Barry White album.

4. dansumisu

dansumisu

ha, brilliant!

maybe that's where i was going wrong!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Does it have a serial #? Have you tried contacting Hofner? That's where I'd start.

7. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk? Supporting Member

Media:
  8. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk? Supporting Member

Media:
  9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

10. dansumisu

dansumisu

thanks, very helpful :)

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Need to see a pic of the front of the headstock showing the Hofner logo, but I would guess it to be an early 70's 500/1.

TD

12. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'm not an expert, but I did some research on my Hofner and think it's a 1970-73 model because of features including the headstock logo and the fact that the Hofner logo also is embossed into the pickguard. The absence of a pickguard logo on yours makes me suspect it's a late '60s piece.

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

Flowers, chocolate, dinner and a movie (NOT a guy film gets you points...)

14. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

When you do take it to dinner make sure you let the bass do most of the talking. That way it will feel that you are genuinely interested in it. I would also recommend stopping somewhere to get a nice bottle of wood oil in case you get to take it home after dinner! :D

15. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Let me know if it doesn't work out between you two, I'd date her.

16. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35 Supporting Member

It appears to be genuine,but the only thing that throws me off is a bass of the early 70s, in fact anything after 1964 should have a larger control plate than what is on the bass. Maybe it's the angle of the pic, but it appears to have a narrow control plate. After 64 these were considerably bigger until the reissues came out in the1990s. Someone could have swapped the plate, but the hole cut into the top should be too large for a small control plate....hmmm Would need to see add'l pics to be certain. Also, the cats head single tuners on this bass weren't usually the ones fitted on an early 70s bass either.

Edit:
    I just checked the Vintage UK Hofner site. It would actually appear this bass is from the early 1990s...around 92 or 93. There's another bass almost just like it that has a very close serial number. That solves the mystery I had on the tuners and the narrow control plate. This bass is approx. 20 years old which makes it seem like a very safe buy IMO.
    http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/bass2/bas3.html