Wondering...Shure SE215-K and Rolls PM55 Personal Monitor Amp +

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by WinterSun_Fan, Dec 13, 2013.

1. WinterSun_Fan

WinterSun_Fan

So I've been using a D.I. rig the last couple of shows I've played, and I've been blown away by the tone (and the portability:D) that I've achieved.

While I've been loving the tone, trying to monitor my sound through a house wedge just ain't cuttin' it. So I've been looking into an in-ear monitor setup. The items I'm looking at are currently the Shure SE215-K monitors and the Rolls PM55 Personal Monitor Amp+.

I'm pretty sure the Rolls will be fine, seeing that Evan Brewer uses it pretty often, but I'm kind of wary of the Shure's.

Now, don't misconstrue that I'm dissing Shure products, I just don't know how these monitors will work with bass.

Also if it's relevant I play a pretty diverse variety of music, ranging from playing in a drumline ensemble, to jazz fusion, to death and prog-metal, using slap/distorted/clean tones.

Here's some links to the monitors:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...&ie=UTF8&qid=1386993054&sr=1-2&keywords=shure

http://www.shure.com/americas/produ.../se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

Basically, what I'm asking is, are the monitors any good?
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, the Shure SE215's are good budget earbuds, and I'd get the Rolls PM351 instead of the PM55 (and the Rolls sound great).
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

If you are going with universal buds, the Westone UM3X can't be beat and are excellent for bass. They are every bit as good as my custom 1964 Ears quad drivers.
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

IME, the bass response of universal drivers depends a lot on how they seal and fit in your ears.

IOW, out of the box, buds and tips that work great for another TBer might not work for you.

That said, customizing the fit of off-the-shelf buds greatly improves their performance, comfort, and consistency. If you can't spring for audiologist's molds, a little sugru or the like works wonders.

There are a number of on-line tutorials for making your own custom buds. (Essentially, fit in your buds, pack putty around the buds, and wait for it to harden.) I'd add three tweaks:

1. Listening to recorded music through the buds during the process helps you judge the best fit for the bass response you want.
    2. Once you have the putty packed around the buds, make a tiny pinch in the putty before it dries. (Tweezers work for this.) The goal is to create a sort of handle on the outside of the earpiece, which makes it easier to remove them. Obviously, don't tug on that material to remove the earpieces when you first mold them, as it won't be strong until the material has fully cured.
    3. I recommend two separate passes to customize the fit of the earbuds and the fit of the over-the-ear wires. That is, do the earpieces first, taking care to position the buds and wires as desired—but leave the wires unwrapped until the earpieces are fully cured. Then use a bit more sugru or putty to wrap a couple inches of the wires, fit the earpieces in, and mold the sugru-wrapped wires over your ears.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

the SE-425's would be way better then the 215's. i bit the bullet at went with the 425's and couldn't be happier. the other reason i suggest them is that you have dual drivers in them, so the lower end will be a little smoother and rounded...

but for 90 bucks vs 250....choice is yours really...lol