1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Wood choice for "mid-range burpy" tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soaf, Dec 10, 2013.

1. soaf

soaf

I prefer a bass tone with a nice mid bark (think jazz bass with the mids boosted). I want to do a build and are considering woods for the fretboard, body and neck such as wenge and ebony. Which wood combinations would give me that sort of tone?

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    Mahogany body, maple neck. People say it doesn't matter, but from experience of lots of basses, the mahogany comes through for me better with mids than others. Wenge could work, but it's oily as hell, so I stay with mahogany, and wenge is a pricey exotic, too. Even with neck-thrus, I think it matters...case-in-point, the Ibanez 676 and 776PB. Exact same basses, except the woods. I could totally hear more authority in the mids from the 776PB, which has a mahogany body, whereas the 676 has an ash body.

The fretboard doesn't really matter, though, since it's a pretty thin piece of wood. I'm just used to rosewood, and because it's oily like wenge (okay for a fingerboard, imo), it seems to hold up better than a dry wood, like maple or ebony.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I would definitely vote Mahogany as well.

But, I think pickups has a lot to do with it as well. I have two Mahogany Spectors. My 5 string with a single MM pickup at the bridge nails that tone. It's very 'Geddy Lee Wal'-ish and I've never played another bass with that much mid burp.

But my Spector NS2J with Jazz pickups gives the opposite of that tone, so I'd say go Mahogany with a big fat humbucker at the bridge.

4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Koa body( a bit brighter with more mids than mahogany, kind of a cross between mahogany and alder)
    maple neck
    snakewood fretboard(very bright)
    MM pickup at the bridge position

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

7. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

You'd be better off posting this in the luthiers forum.

8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

It's been said before, but not yet on this thread...

A bass guitar is a wholistic instrument, which is to say it's the sum of it's parts... woods, shapes and profiles, pickups, strings, hardware, build quality, etc.

Asking for wood suggestions for a particular tone goal is a bit like asking what spice will add more flavor to my food.

Just saying....

9. songwriter21

Disclosures:
    Yeah, I'd +1 that.

10. songwriter21

Disclosures:
    I've seemed to get better burp with buckers, as well. They just seem to have more "heft" and beef to them, by adding good muscle to your mids.

11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner

Actually, that's the answer to the bigger question, yes!

If you're just asking for that "which lumber do I grab first to go that direction?" starting point, try mahogany.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I agree with others who say that burp -- or any other kind of tone -- starts with pickups and pickup location. For burp specifically, go for at least one pickup near the bridge ... the Warwick Thumb has two pickups down in that range.

Get the pickups sorted out first, and then figure out what other factors (such as woods) will enhance the effect.

13. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    a jazz style pup (single coil...many on the market)
    Alder body
    Maple neck!

that's my recipe for grindy burpy stuff!!

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'm a sucker for mahogany, but I bet the pickup placement would have more to do with it than any other single contribution.

15. mongo2

mongo2

See: Rocco Prestia.

16. Fuzzbass

There's the Rocco funk burp, and many kinds of fusion burp: Jaco, Berlin, Manring, Egan... what kind of burp are we looking for?

Looks like Gary Willis burps with just one bridge pickup here:

17. grendle

grendle

I would ask, what kind of attack and "ploom" do you want? To me the mids are more effected by pickup placement as others have said. The Warwick thumb and MM seem to get that the best. I would stick close to that pickup location.

18. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

i personally find better mids in using single coils. the inherent mid scoop in humbuckers is sort of the opposite of what you are going for here

19. Fuzzbass

+1

If the humbucker coils are wired in series instead of parallel, the scoop should be avoided. But I believe most buckers are wired in parallel.

(The split-coil P pickup is wired in series, and of course is very mid-present, but that's an oddball)

20. mmbongo

:eyebrow:

Umm..a series wired humbucker will have a HUGE mid boost over single coils...especially TWO single coils with the blend in the middle. That's the very definition of mid scoop.

21. mmbongo

Series is actually the norm, and gives quite the mid boost....as proven by your P bass example.